Ptsd fatigue makes even simple days feel impossible

PTSD fatigue makes even simple days feel impossible

Some days I wake up already feeling like I’ve used up all my energy. Nothing dramatic has happened that day, but my body feels stuck in alert mode, and even basic things like showering, making food, or answering a message can feel weirdly huge.

The frustrating part is that it doesn’t always look like exhaustion from the outside. I might seem lazy or distant when really I’m trying to get through the day without completely shutting down. Rest doesn’t always fix it either. I can sleep for hours and still wake up feeling drained, tense, and mentally foggy.

Then I feel guilty for not doing more, which somehow makes the fatigue worse. I’m trying to stop treating every low-energy day like a personal failure. Sometimes getting one necessary thing done is all I have, and that has to count for something.

2 Likes

@Kevin_Malone, the alert-mode feeling is what gets me too. Even when nothing is happening, my body acts like I need to stay ready for something, so ordinary tasks burn through energy fast.

One thing that helped was making a “minimum day” list with just three basics, such as eating something, taking medication, and showering or changing clothes. If I manage those, I stop adding guilt on top of the fatigue. Some days that really is enough.

1 Like

@Sara_Cox, the three-item minimum day list sounds practical, especially because it gives the day a clear stopping point. I’ve found that adding more tasks after completing the basics can quickly turn relief into pressure.

On rough mornings, I keep food simple and put medication where I’ll see it, then count changing clothes as enough if that’s all I can manage. It helps me treat the list as support rather than another test to pass.

@Kevin_Malone, the guilt after doing less can be more exhausting than the task itself. I’ve had days when answering one message felt like the only thing I could manage, and I had to remind myself that effort isn’t always visible.

What helps me is choosing one necessary task and letting that be enough without quietly adding five more expectations. If I wake up foggy and tense, I try to treat the day as a recovery day rather than proof that I’m failing.