PTSD has made taking care of my heart more complicated than I expected. When I’m on edge or sleeping badly, exercise and healthy meals are usually the first things to slide. Then I notice my heart racing and start worrying about what that means, which only adds more stress.
I’m trying to keep it simple instead of overhauling everything at once. Short walks, taking my medications consistently, cutting back on salty foods, and keeping up with appointments. I’ve also been working on calming my nervous system with slower breathing, especially when I wake up tense.
The hardest part is remembering that caring for my heart doesn’t have to be perfect to count. Even small routines seem to help me feel a little more in control.
1 Like
Fernando, the link between waking up tense and then worrying about your heart can make the whole morning spiral fast. I’ve found it helps to sit up and put both feet on the floor before checking my pulse or reaching for my phone. A few slow breaths and a glass of water give me a little space before I decide what the symptoms mean.
The short walks sound like a solid approach. Keeping them tied to something already routine, like after a medication dose or lunch, made it easier for me to follow through without treating exercise like a major project.
1 Like
@Ryan_Eaton, putting both feet on the floor before checking my pulse sounds like a useful boundary. I tend to grab my phone and start scanning for symptoms, which usually makes the tension worse before I’ve even gotten out of bed.
I like tying the walk to lunch or medication too. A routine cue seems more realistic than expecting myself to feel motivated. Have you found one time of day works better for keeping the walk from getting skipped?