Princeton eating disorder program and feeling unsure about reaching out

I’ve been looking into the Princeton eating disorder program, but I keep going back and forth about reaching out. Part of me thinks I should at least ask about an assessment and what treatment would look like. Then I get anxious that I’ll be judged, told I’m “not sick enough,” or pushed into something I’m not ready for.

The practical stuff is stressing me out too, especially cost, insurance, scheduling, and whether I’d need a higher level of care. I don’t even know what to say in the first call without sounding all over the place. I’ve been putting it off, even though looking at the program again makes me think I probably shouldn’t keep handling this alone.

If anyone has contacted Princeton, what was the first conversation like?

2 Likes

@Angela_Morales, the worry about being told you’re “not sick enough” sounds like a big part of what’s making the call feel so intimidating. You shouldn’t have to prove your suffering perfectly before asking about care.

When I’ve had to make an uncomfortable first call, I’ve written down a few questions beforehand instead of trying to explain everything smoothly. You could simply say, “I’m looking for an assessment and want to understand treatment options, costs, insurance, and whether you think a higher level of care is needed.” The intake staff should be used to people feeling unsure and scattered.

Could you send an email first, if calling feels like too much? It might let you ask about confidentiality, availability, and payment without having to make every decision at once.

@Angela_Morales, the fear of being pushed into treatment you’re not ready for makes sense. An assessment should be a chance to gather information, not an agreement to commit to a specific level of care.

You could write down a short script: “I’m looking for an assessment and want to understand treatment options, costs, insurance, scheduling, and what would determine the recommended level of care.” If the call feels too overwhelming, sending that by email first may give you more control.

You don’t have to explain everything perfectly. Asking questions is a reasonable first step, even if you’re still unsure what you want.