Postpartum anxiety is making it hard to feel present with my baby
I’ll be holding my baby and thinking about everything that could go wrong instead of noticing the little things happening right in front of me. Last week I caught myself staring at the monitor while my baby was awake and smiling, and I felt guilty because I was too busy checking their breathing and replaying safety worries in my head.
I know the anxiety is trying to keep us safe, but it’s stealing moments I actually want to remember. Has anything helped you come back to the present when the worry takes over?
2 Likes
That monitor-checking loop can be so automatic. I’ve found it helps to name what’s happening, like “this is an anxiety thought, not an emergency,” then focus on one concrete detail, such as the baby’s expression, the warmth of their hand, or the sound they’re making.
The guilt tends to make the anxiety louder, so I try not to treat a missed moment as proof I’m failing. Looking away from the monitor for even a minute and sharing what’s happening with a trusted person can be a small reset. If the safety checking keeps taking over, it’s worth mentioning those specifics to a doctor or therapist.
1 Like
The part about not treating a missed moment as proof of failing really hit me. I can get caught up in guilt so quickly that it becomes another thing to monitor, instead of just noticing that my mind wandered and gently coming back.
I like the idea of choosing one detail rather than trying to force all the worry away. Do you use the same grounding detail each time, or does changing it help keep the checking habit from taking over?
@Luis_Cervantes, I used to get stuck trying to prove to myself that everything was safe, which never really ended. What helped was setting one brief check, then putting the monitor down and describing three things I could see or hear. The goal wasn’t to feel completely calm, just to stop feeding the loop for a minute.
I’d also quietly say, “My baby is safe right now, and I’m here right now.” If the guilt showed up, I treated it as another anxious thought instead of evidence that I’d missed something terrible. If the checking is taking up a lot of the day, please mention the exact pattern to your doctor or therapist. Postpartum anxiety is treatable, and you don’t have to manage it by yourself.