Post traumatic shock still catches me off guard in ordinary moments

Post traumatic shock still catches me off guard in ordinary moments. I can be making coffee or waiting in a checkout line, then suddenly feel tense, disconnected, and on alert for no clear reason.

The hardest part is that nothing looks wrong from the outside. I might seem quiet or distracted, while my mind is reacting like something bad is about to happen. It’s frustrating because I know I’m safe, but my body doesn’t always believe me.

Sometimes grounding helps, especially naming things I can see and hear. Other times I just have to wait for the feeling to pass. Does anyone else get hit by it during completely normal parts of the day?

1 Like

@Christopher_Bishop, the checkout line example really resonates. I’ve had ordinary errands suddenly feel unsafe, even while knowing nothing was actually happening. That mismatch between what I understand and what my body is doing can be exhausting.

Naming what I see and hear helps me too, especially when I add a slow exhale and feel my feet against the floor. Sometimes waiting it out is all I can manage, but I try not to judge myself for that.

2 Likes

@Mark_Weaver, the slow exhale and feeling your feet on the floor has helped me too. I started pressing my toes down inside my shoes and noticing the support under each foot. It gives me one simple physical thing to focus on when my surroundings suddenly feel threatening.

The part about not judging yourself matters. Sometimes getting through the errand without making the feeling worse is enough for that moment.

@Mark_Weaver, that mismatch is such a rough part of it. My brain can be listing all the reasons I’m safe, while my body is still braced like I need to get out of there.

I’ve found that pushing myself to “act normal” usually makes the feeling hang around longer. Slowing down, feeling my feet, and letting the wave pass without arguing with it seems to help more. Even if all I manage is finishing the errand and getting home, that still counts.