Post-trauma counseling has been harder than I expected. The trauma itself was awful, obviously, but at least I was focused on getting through each day. In counseling, I have to slow down and look directly at things I spent a long time pushing away. That can leave me feeling raw for hours afterward.
Some sessions feel like they barely helped, then a memory or reaction shows up later and I realize something was stirred up. I’ve had days where I questioned whether talking about it was making me worse. My counselor keeps reminding me that feeling worse temporarily doesn’t always mean I’m going backward, but it’s still difficult to trust that when I’m sitting with all of it.
I’m trying to take the process in smaller pieces and not expect myself to explain everything perfectly. The main thing I’m learning is that therapy can feel harder because I’m finally dealing with what I had to survive before.
1 Like
The delayed reactions after a session can be especially confusing. I’ve had times when I thought a conversation went nowhere, then noticed later that I was more irritable, tired, or distracted. It made me wonder whether the session had helped at all.
Taking smaller pieces sounds sensible. I’ve found it helps to leave some space afterward instead of jumping straight into errands or difficult conversations. Does your counselor help you plan for those raw hours, or is that something you’ve had to figure out on your own?
2 Likes
The delayed irritability and tiredness are what throw me too. I used to assume a session had gone badly if I felt scattered afterward, but sometimes the reaction showed up because I had been holding everything tightly during the appointment.
My counselor helped me make a simple after-session plan: no major decisions, eat something easy, take a short walk, and write down what I was feeling without trying to analyze it. The biggest help was treating those few hours as recovery time instead of expecting myself to carry on normally.
@Chad_West, leaving space afterward has made a bigger difference for me than I expected. If I pack the rest of the day with errands, I’m more likely to snap at someone or get stuck replaying the session.
My counselor helped me come up with a loose plan, mostly food, water, a shower, and something familiar to watch. I had to figure out the practical part myself, though. Do you notice the delayed reactions more when a specific memory comes up, or can they happen after almost any session?