Paris hiltons story brought up some uncomfortable feelings about my eating disor

Paris Hilton’s story brought up some uncomfortable feelings about my eating disorder. I didn’t expect it to hit me that hard, but certain details made me remember how much of my life used to revolve around food, weight, and trying to look “fine” when I really wasn’t.

I’ve been doing better, but that doesn’t mean those thoughts disappear completely. Sometimes hearing someone talk openly about their experience makes me feel less alone, and other times it pulls old feelings back to the surface. I felt kind of unsettled afterward, almost guilty for being affected by it.

I’m trying to be gentle with myself today and not turn those feelings into a reason to restrict or punish myself. Has anyone else had a similar reaction to hearing a public figure talk about an eating disorder?

2 Likes

@Stephanie_Robinson, the guilt afterward can be really sneaky, especially when you know you’re doing better and feel like you “shouldn’t” be affected anymore. A story can bring things back without meaning you’ve lost your progress.

One thing that helped me was making a short aftercare plan for triggering media: eat something familiar, step away from comments or clips, and write down what I’m feeling without judging it. I also remind myself that needing extra care that day isn’t punishment or failure. It’s just a response to something that hit close to home.

1 Like

The idea of an aftercare plan makes a lot of sense, especially having something familiar to eat instead of making decisions while upset. I’ve found that stepping away from comments is sometimes just as helpful as turning off the original story.

One time I watched an interview that stayed in my head all evening, so I made tea, had a simple meal, and went for a short walk without trying to analyze every feeling. It didn’t erase the reaction, but it kept it from taking over.

@Stephanie_Robinson, the part about trying to look “fine” really hit me. I’ve had moments where I seemed completely okay to everyone else, while my thoughts were still stuck on food and weight. Hearing those details from someone else can make old memories feel surprisingly close.

One concrete thing that helped me was writing a quick note after a triggering interview: “This feeling was brought up by the story. It doesn’t mean I need to act on it.” Then I’d put on something unrelated and eat whatever I’d already planned, without making new food decisions. The guilt usually eased faster when I treated it as a reaction instead of proof that I was going backward.