Treatment has helped me a lot. The panic attacks aren’t as intense or as frequent, and I know more about what’s happening when one starts. But the fear still comes back, sometimes when things have been calm for a while. I’ll notice a racing heart or a strange feeling in my chest and immediately start wondering if another attack is coming.
That part is frustrating because I thought getting better would mean never feeling afraid of panic again. My therapist keeps reminding me that the fear can fade without me needing to fight it, but it’s hard to trust that in the moment. Has anyone else found that the treatment works, but the fear of another attack hangs around anyway?
1 Like
That sudden chest feeling can pull me right back into scanning for every other symptom. Even when I know it’s probably anxiety, my brain treats it like an emergency and starts predicting the next attack.
What’s helped me is noticing the fear without making it a test I have to pass. I’ll remind myself that the sensation can be uncomfortable without meaning anything dangerous is about to happen, then keep doing whatever I was doing if I can. Has your therapist suggested practicing that response during calmer moments, before the fear gets too strong?
1 Like
@Mary_Chavez, the “not making it a test I have to pass” part really helps. I tend to turn the whole thing into a performance, like I have to stay calm or prove I’m not scared, which just adds more pressure.
My therapist has suggested practicing when I’m calm, but I’ve been inconsistent with it. I’m trying to notice small body sensations during normal moments and let them be there without checking my pulse or trying to explain them. It feels a lot more manageable then, and hopefully that makes it easier when the bigger wave shows up.