I thought I was past the pandemic stress, but it still shows up in odd ways. Crowded stores can make me tense, and a small cough from someone nearby grabs my attention before I can stop it. Even making plans feels harder than it used to. I’ll agree to something, then start worrying about all the ways it could go wrong.
The strange part is that I don’t feel constantly afraid. It’s more like my body still expects things to suddenly change. I’ve been trying to notice that reaction without letting it make every decision for me.
2 Likes
That part about agreeing to plans and then mentally running through everything that could go wrong makes a lot of sense. I’ve noticed that reaction can show up even when I’m not consciously worried, like my brain is trying to prepare for a cancellation before anything has happened.
Noticing the tension without immediately changing your plans seems like a solid approach. Do crowded places feel easier at certain times, or does the reaction happen pretty much whenever you’re around a lot of people?
The part about your body expecting things to suddenly change really clicked for me. I’ve had that same feeling even when my thoughts seem calm, especially when plans involve crowds or anything I can’t easily leave.
One thing that helped was making a simple backup plan before going out, like knowing where I could step outside for a minute. Having that option made it easier not to cancel, because I wasn’t trying to convince myself nothing would go wrong. I just knew what I’d do if I got overwhelmed.