The OCD thoughts are quieter lately, but they’re still running my day in the background. I might not be stuck checking for hours, yet I’m still planning around the thoughts, avoiding certain things, and trying to get that feeling of certainty before I move on.
That makes it tricky because from the outside I probably look much better. Even I sometimes wonder if I’m making too much of it. But being less visibly distressed doesn’t mean the OCD has stopped taking up space. It’s more like the volume is lower while the same person is still controlling the playlist.
I’m trying to notice when I’m changing my plans to calm the thought, then let the discomfort sit there without fixing it. Some days that works for a little while. Other days I catch myself hours later and realize I’ve been negotiating with my brain again. Therapy has helped me see that quiet thoughts can still be compulsions when I keep responding to them.
1 Like
The part about looking better from the outside really hits. I’ve had days where I seemed completely fine, but my choices were still being shaped by avoiding a thought or trying to feel certain before doing anything.
Catching the negotiation hours later can be so frustrating, especially when it feels like there wasn’t one obvious compulsion. Do you have a particular sign that helps you notice sooner, like a change in your plans or that urge to mentally review everything?
1 Like
@Cassandra_Foster, for me the clearest sign is that a simple decision starts feeling like it needs more thought before I can act. I’ll notice myself replaying possible outcomes, checking how certain I feel, or quietly changing plans to avoid discomfort.
Sometimes I catch it through the tension in my body before I recognize the thought. That pause helps me ask whether I’m making a practical choice or trying to get rid of anxiety. I don’t always catch it early, but noticing it even hours later still gives me a chance to stop feeding it.