Ocd keeps making me doubt things i know are fine

OCD keeps making me doubt things I already know are fine. I can check something, feel sure for a few seconds, and then my brain throws in a “but what if?” that makes me question everything again.

The frustrating part is that I usually know the doubt doesn’t make sense. I’m not actually finding new evidence. It’s just the same fear coming back in a different form, asking me to check one more time or replay the situation in my head. Sometimes I give in because it feels like the fastest way to calm down, but then the doubt comes back even stronger later.

I’m trying to practice sitting with the uncertainty instead of proving things to myself, but it’s really uncomfortable. The hardest part is remembering that feeling unsure doesn’t mean something is wrong.

1 Like

That part about the doubt coming back in a different form is so exhausting. I’ve had times where I answered the worry, then my brain immediately changed the question like it was looking for a loophole.

Sitting with the uncertainty feels awful at first, but I’ve noticed checking only gives me a tiny break before making the next doubt louder. Feeling unsure really isn’t proof that anything is wrong, even when it feels very convincing.

1 Like

@Kayla_Allen, the loophole part is exactly how it feels for me too. I can answer one concern, then suddenly my brain acts like that answer only covered a slightly different question.

I’ve noticed this with locking the front door. After checking once, I’ll get the urge to picture the handle turning or go back and test it again. The relief barely lasts, so lately I’m practicing leaving it alone and letting the uncertainty sit there.