Not sure if this is ptsd or acute stress but my body wont calm down

I’m not sure whether this is PTSD or acute stress, but my body won’t calm down. Even when nothing is happening, I feel wired and on guard. My heart jumps at small noises, I’m tense without realizing it, and sleep has been pretty rough.

The strange part is that my mind can understand I’m safe, but my body doesn’t seem to believe it. I keep checking doors and replaying what happened, then feel exhausted from being stuck in that mode. I’m trying to keep up with normal stuff, but basic tasks take more effort than they should.

I know the label probably needs to come from a professional, especially depending on how long this lasts. Has anyone else had that constant physical panic after something upsetting?

1 Like

@Ethan_Drake, that mismatch between knowing you’re safe and still feeling under threat can be incredibly unsettling. I’ve had times when every small sound made my whole body react before I even knew what I was thinking.

The door checking and poor sleep can keep that alarm system switched on, too. If you can, a gentle evening routine, slower breathing, and grounding through your feet or the chair beneath you may help take the edge off. Please consider speaking with a professional, especially if sleep is getting worse or you’re struggling with daily tasks.

1 Like

Lindsey, the part about your body reacting before your thoughts catch up makes a lot of sense. I’ve had that happen with sudden noises, where I was already tense before I could even identify what startled me.

Grounding through my feet has helped me a little, especially when I focus on the floor and name a few ordinary things in the room. It doesn’t switch everything off, but it gives my body a quieter signal.