My ptsd from sepsis experience

My experience with Sepsis changed me in more ways than I can count. I still have flashbacks of being in the hospital hooked up to monitors and machines, feeling so ill that I could barely be moved or touched. But the effects that stick with me the most are those brought on by my PTSD.

I can be triggered by anything: a sound, a smell, or a conversation about illness. All of it reminds me what was done to me and how vulnerable it made me feel. It’s hard for me to talk about, but it’s part of my story now and I’m learning how to cope.

I’ve found ways to manage my symptoms that help my mental health: staying connected with friends, meditating and exercising daily, and sleeping as much as possible when I’m feeling overwhelmed. It’s been difficult at times, but it has made all the difference in helping manage my PTSD from this traumatic experience.

1 Like

I hear you and I really commend you for being so strong and resilient in the face of adversity. It sounds like it has been a long road and can still be more challenging than any of us want to admit at times. I’m sure this hasn’t been easy, but I’m proud of you for talking about it and working on ways to manage your symptoms.

I think it’s important to remember that everyone’s experience with PTSD is different and that all of the steps you’ve taken to manage your symptoms are incredibly valuable. It’s okay if none of these methods completely eliminate the flashbacks, but they are helping create some room to breathe in moments where your anxiety feels particularly overwhelming.

No matter how difficult it gets for you, always remember that you aren’t alone and there is always hope that things will get better with time and acceptance.