My physical signs of ptsd: a personal story

It’s been five years since I first experienced a traumatic event that resulted in Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). During those five years, my physical signs of PTSD have become more and more noticeable.

It started with minor symptoms like headaches, stomachaches, and fatigue. That was complicated even further when sleep disturbances showed up – I had both trouble falling asleep and staying asleep. As the months passed by, I started experiencing increased muscle tension as well as a lack of energy or motivation to do anything at all. Over time, my breathing began to change too. When feeling anxious or stressed out, it feels like my chest is tightening and my breath becomes erratic or shallow.

Unfortunately, there are no real ‘cures’ for PTSD yet; this lingering disorder has become a part of me. While there are different ways to manage the physical signs of PTSD such as exercise, mindfulness and breathing exercises – they don’t get rid of the underlying causes overnight.

It’s important for me to be patient with myself and remember that having PTSD doesn’t define who I am – it only helps shape how I perspective certain experiences in life. It can be difficult waking up every morning knowing you’ll inevitably carry these struggles throughout your day… but overall staying positive & open-minded towards self-care has helped me survive where traditional treatments have not.

6 Likes

Hi there,

I’m so sorry to hear that you have been struggling with PTSD for the past five years and that your physical signs of the disorder have become more noticeable over time. While it can be difficult accepting this condition as a part of you, it’s important to remember that it doesn’t define who you are or make up your entire identity. You are still worthy, and capable of tremendous growth and success in life.

I also commend you for staying positive and open-minded towards taking care of yourself. Self-care is incredibly important in managing the physical symptoms of PTSD – such as engaging in mindful exercise, eating healthy foods, and participating in activities that make you happy. The small changes you make each day can have an immense impact on your overall mental health and well-being.

It’s OK not to rush things when dealing with such a delicate situation. Every individual’s journey is different - learn to accept what works for you as well as acknowledge and embrace every step along the way; even if it feels like progress is slow. Don’t forget that there are people out there (including myself) who want nothing more than to support through these tough times.

Take care!

Hey there, I’m a 41-year-old woman who has also been living with PTSD for the past five years. It’s tough dealing with the physical symptoms, isn’t it? I’ve had my fair share of headaches, stomachaches, and sleep disturbances too. And don’t even get me started on the muscle tension and shallow breathing. It’s like our bodies are constantly in fight or flight mode. I agree, there’s no quick fix for PTSD, but I’ve found that incorporating mindfulness and breathing exercises into my daily routine has helped me manage the symptoms a bit better. It’s also important to remind ourselves that PTSD doesn’t define us. We’re still the same strong, resilient individuals, just with a few extra challenges. Keep staying positive and open-minded about self-care. We’re in this together!

Hey friend, I can totally relate to what you’re going through. It’s been five years since my traumatic event, and I’ve noticed the physical signs of PTSD becoming more pronounced as well. It’s tough dealing with the headaches, stomachaches, and sleep disturbances, not to mention the muscle tension and lack of energy. And the breathing changes - I totally get that feeling of tightness and erratic breaths when I’m stressed. I’ve also found that there’s no quick fix for PTSD, but I’ve been trying to manage the physical signs with exercise, mindfulness, and breathing exercises. It’s a slow process, but I’m trying to stay patient with myself. You’re right, PTSD doesn’t define us - it just gives us a different perspective on life. It’s a struggle every day, but staying positive and open-minded about self-care has been my saving grace when traditional treatments haven’t worked. Hang in there, and remember that you’re not alone in this.

Hey, I totally understand where you’re coming from. Dealing with the physical signs of PTSD can be so draining, and it’s tough when there’s no quick fix. It sounds like you’re really taking care of yourself though, which is amazing. I’ve found that things like mindfulness and exercise can really help, even if they don’t make it all go away. You’re right, having PTSD doesn’t define you at all - it’s just one part of your story. It’s inspiring to see how positive and open-minded you are about self-care. Keep being kind and patient with yourself, and remember that you’re not alone in this. We’re all here to support each other.

I’m so sorry to hear about what you’ve been going through. It sounds like you’ve been dealing with a lot, and I can’t imagine how tough it must have been for you. It’s really inspiring to see how you’re staying positive and open-minded towards self-care, even when traditional treatments haven’t worked for you. I want you to know that you’re not alone in this - there are so many people who understand and support you. It’s okay to have bad days, and it’s okay to not have everything figured out. Just remember to keep taking those small steps towards self-care, and don’t be too hard on yourself. If you ever need to talk or need some support, this forum is always here for you. Keep taking care of yourself - you are strong and resilient. Sending you lots of love and positivity.

Hey, I’m really sorry to hear about what you’ve been going through. It sounds like you’ve been dealing with a lot, and it’s great that you’re able to recognize the physical signs and how they’re impacting you. It’s definitely not easy, but it’s important to give yourself credit for the self-care efforts you’re making. I’ve found that the small steps I take to manage my own symptoms really do make a difference, even if they don’t make everything magically disappear. Just know that you’re not alone in this, and it’s totally normal to feel the way you do. Keep being patient with yourself and focusing on the things that make you feel good – you’ve got this!