My phone is the first thing i reach for when my brain gets loud

When my brain gets loud, my phone is usually the first thing I reach for. I don’t even think about it most of the time. I’ll unlock it, scroll through random videos, check messages, then somehow lose half an hour without feeling any better.

The weird part is that I know it’s not really calming me down. It’s more like I’m avoiding whatever thought is underneath the noise. Sometimes I put the phone across the room and just sit there feeling restless, like I forgot what people did before having something to stare at.

I’ve been trying to pause for a minute before picking it up. Not always successfully, but sometimes I take a few breaths or get water instead. The urge still feels automatic, though. Does anyone else use their phone more when their thoughts get overwhelming?

2 Likes

That restless feeling when the phone is across the room is real. I’ve noticed the urge gets strongest in the few quiet seconds before I decide what to do next, so even a tiny pause can feel uncomfortable.

One thing that’s helped me is standing up and doing one simple physical task, like rinsing a mug or opening a window, before deciding whether to pick up my phone. It doesn’t fix the thought underneath, but it breaks the automatic loop sometimes.

That half hour disappearing without feeling any better is such a good description of it. I do the same thing, especially when I’m avoiding one specific thought I don’t feel like dealing with yet. The scrolling fills the space, but doesn’t actually settle anything.

Putting the phone across the room sounds simple, but the restless part can be surprisingly intense. I’ve had better luck making the pause really small, like standing up and getting water before deciding. Sometimes that’s enough to realize I want a distraction, and sometimes I still grab the phone anyway. At least then it feels a little less automatic.