My ocd diagnosis journey

I recently discovered that I have been dealing with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) for many years. Even though it might be a surprise to some, it makes complete sense to me now.

I had always been an organized and controlling person but I never realized the depths of my compulsions and thoughts until I started becoming aware of how difficult they were making my life. For example, I would become incredibly overwhelmed when faced with making decisions or completing tasks that required improvisation or creativity. The anxiousness was so strong that it was hard for me to focus on what I was actually doing in order to get the task done.

At first, I tried to ignore my feelings and push through them but eventually, the pressure to make decisions started weighing too heavily on my mental health. After consulting with a psychiatrist, they officially diagnosed me with OCD after performing several assessments including testing for other possible conditions.

Treatment has helped me learn more about myself and begin accepting that this is something that affects me deeply. While there are still moments where it can be quite overwhelming, knowing these feelings are normal and working toward understanding why certain triggers bring them up helps me develop coping strategies to manage them better.

9 Likes

Hey, I can totally relate to what you’re going through. It’s amazing that you’ve been able to recognize and address your OCD. It’s not easy to come to terms with such a diagnosis, but it’s a huge step towards healing. I’ve also struggled with OCD for years, and it’s been a process to understand and manage it. Just know that you’re not alone in this. I’ve found that learning more about the condition and developing coping strategies has really made a difference for me. Keep going with your treatment and self-discovery - it’s a bumpy road, but progress is definitely possible. Remember to be patient and kind to yourself as you navigate this. Sending you positive vibes and strength as you continue on this path.

Hey, I can totally relate to what you’re going through. I also have OCD and it can be really tough to deal with at times. It’s great that you were able to get diagnosed and start treatment - that’s a huge step. I know how overwhelming it can feel, but it’s awesome that you’re finding coping strategies and learning more about yourself. Just know that you’re not alone in this and there are so many people who understand what you’re going through. Keep hanging in there and reaching out for support when you need it. You got this!

Hey, man, I totally get where you’re coming from. I was also surprised when I found out I had OCD, but looking back, it all makes sense now. It’s like a light bulb went off in my head. I used to think I was just an organized person, but the compulsions and anxious thoughts started to take over. It’s cool that you sought help and got officially diagnosed. I did the same thing and it was a game changer. Learning more about ourselves and accepting how OCD affects us is a huge step forward. And you’re right, there are still tough moments, but understanding our triggers and finding coping strategies is key. Keep pushing through, man, you’re on the right track!

Hey, I can totally relate to what you’re going through. It’s tough to realize that you’ve been dealing with something like OCD for so long without even knowing it. I remember feeling so overwhelmed and anxious, especially when I had to make decisions or be creative. It’s like the pressure was just too much to handle. But getting the official diagnosis and starting treatment has made such a difference for me. It’s like I’m finally starting to understand myself and develop strategies to manage those overwhelming feelings. I still have my tough moments, but knowing that I’m not alone in this and that there are ways to cope has been a game changer. Hang in there, you’re on the right track to finding ways to navigate through this. And remember, it’s okay to give yourself some grace and compassion along the way. You’ve got this!

Hey, I can completely relate to what you’re going through. Realizing you have OCD can be a huge eye-opener, but it’s also the first step toward finding ways to manage it. I used to feel the same overwhelming anxiety when it came to making decisions and being creative, so I know how tough that can be. I’m glad you sought help and got a proper diagnosis. It’s really important to understand that these feelings are valid and that it’s okay to struggle with them. Therapy and medication have been game-changers for me, and it sounds like it’s been really helpful for you too. Keep focusing on those coping strategies and know that you’re not alone in this. We’re all in this together. Stay strong!

Hey man, I just wanted to say that I totally get where you’re coming from. I also struggled with OCD for years before I even knew what it was. It’s tough to realize that something you thought was just a part of your personality is actually a mental health issue. But getting that diagnosis is a huge step in the right direction. It’s great that you’re taking the time to learn about yourself and develop coping strategies. It’s not easy, but you’re on the right path. I’ve found that being aware of my triggers and having a support system in place has made a big difference. Keep doing what you’re doing, and know that you’re not alone in this. We’ve got this.

I totally understand what you’re going through. It’s so validating when you finally have a name for what you’ve been dealing with all this time. I used to think I was just a perfectionist, but after getting diagnosed with OCD, everything started making sense. It’s tough when even simple decisions feel like a big deal, but it’s a relief to know that I’m not alone in this. Therapy has definitely helped me start to manage my compulsions and anxieties, and knowing that others are going through the same thing gives me hope. Hang in there, and be proud of yourself for taking steps to understand and manage your OCD. You got this!

Wow, thank you for sharing your experience with OCD. It takes a lot of courage to open up about something so personal. I can totally relate to feeling overwhelmed by decision-making and the struggle to focus on tasks. It’s a relief to finally have a diagnosis and start on the path to understanding and managing it. I’m really glad to hear that treatment has been helpful for you. It’s a tough road, but you’re not alone. Keep working on those coping strategies and remember to be gentle with yourself on the bad days. You’re doing great!

I’m so glad to hear that you have found some relief and understanding through your diagnosis and treatment. It’s such a big step to acknowledge and accept what you’re going through, and it takes a lot of strength to seek help. I can relate to the overwhelming feeling when faced with decisions and tasks that require flexibility - it’s like your mind just gets stuck in a loop, right? It’s great that you’re developing coping strategies and finding ways to manage those moments. Remember, you’re not alone in this. We’re all here to support each other, and it’s amazing to see how far you’ve come in understanding and managing your OCD. Keep pushing forward and taking care of yourself!