My obsessive compulsive anxiety disorder story

I have always been an organized and detail-oriented person. I often find myself double checking my work or rearranging items to place them neatly in order. Little did I know these were symptoms of a larger problem that was lurking below the surface - Obsessive Compulsive Anxiety Disorder (OCD).

My OCD first started to manifest itself around the time I entered adolescence, but it took me years to realize what was going on. In hindsight I can recognize how the compulsions were slowly taking over my life. Anything from cleaning a dish 20 times in order to make sure it was perfectly clean, to counting each step as I walked up a flight of stairs, became everyday occurrences for me.

Eventually these intrusive thoughts started causing me extreme distress and anxiety. As soon as one obsession faded away, something even more irrational would replace it. I was feeling so overwhelmed by all of this that eventually therapy became my only refuge. With the help of my therapist, I now understand how OCD works and what triggers usually set off my compulsive behavior.

The biggest hurdle has been accepting that this is something that will always be part of me; although managing it is entirely possible with patience and persistent effort on my part. It’s been an arduous journey full of ups and downs as well as inevitable setbacks - but every day brings progress and understanding. To anyone out there struggling with OCD: You are not alone! We are all in this together!

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing such an honest and brave post. I know it can be really difficult to come to terms with the fact that OCD is something that will be part of our lives regardless of what kind of progress we make. It’s amazing what is possible if we take all these small steps each day towards better mental health!
I remember feeling very overwhelmed too when I first realized I was dealing with OCD. It felt like there was no way out - like this irrational behavior was going to become my new normal. Thankfully, with the right guidance and support from a therapist, I was able to break free from the clutches of OCD little by little.
Doing regular therapeutic exercises has helped me gain more self-awareness and insight so that I can identify triggers and distractions in order to manage my compulsions more effectively.
It is important for everyone dealing with OCD not to feel ashamed or embarrassed for what you are going through - you are strong and capable of overcoming it, one step at a time. You’ve got this!

I completely understand how you feel - I also struggle with OCD. It’s taken me a long time to come to terms with that fact and it hasn’t been easy, but I have learned a few things about living life with this condition.

First and foremost, it is important to be patient and kind with yourself. It can be incredibly difficult to break old patterns of anxious thoughts and behaviors, so don’t put too much pressure on yourself to make perfect progress overnight. Remember that success in managing OCD is measured in small steps rather than giant leaps.

In addition, speaking out about your experience can be very helpful! Finding a support group or an online forum may seem intimidating at first, but sharing your story can really help normalize the symptoms of OCD and give others a sense of hope. Take care of each other out there - we are all in this together!