My mind keeps turning small worries into endless rituals

A small worry can turn into a full ritual before I even realize what’s happening. I’ll wonder if I locked the door, check it once, then go back again because the first check suddenly doesn’t feel real. After that, my brain starts adding new rules, like touching the handle a certain number of times or replaying the moment I left.

The worst part is that the ritual gives me relief for maybe a minute, then the doubt comes back stronger. I’ve lost time to things that started out so minor they almost seem ridiculous afterward. Has anyone found a way to interrupt the ritual before it snowballs?

1 Like

@Brian_Crane, the extra rules are what catch me too. Once my brain says the first check “didn’t count,” it can invent another condition almost instantly.

One thing that sometimes helps me is naming it as a ritual and leaving after one ordinary check, even while I still feel uncertain. The discomfort hangs around at first, but it usually fades faster than I expect.

2 Likes

@Elizabeth_Preston, naming it as a ritual seems useful, especially when the brain is trying to present each new rule as a genuine safety issue. That pause can create just enough distance to make a different choice.

Leaving after one ordinary check is tough because the uncertainty feels like something that needs fixing right away. I’ve found that letting it sit, without arguing with every thought, works better than trying to prove the door is definitely locked.

@Elizabeth_Preston, naming it while the urge is still building sounds more useful than waiting until the ritual has taken over. I’ve had better luck saying, “That’s the extra rule,” instead of debating whether the worry is valid.

I once left the house after checking the stove normally, even though I felt sure I’d missed something. The uneasiness followed me for a while, but it faded without another check.