My mental health story

I have been struggling with my mental health for a few years now. It took some time for me to recognize that something wasn’t quite right, but once I was able to confront the fact that I was having mental health issues, I began taking the necessary steps toward improving my wellbeing.

The biggest challenge has been learning how to effectively manage and cope with my symptoms. There have been moments when things felt like they were getting worse, where my anxiety became unbearable and debilitating. Yet, slowly but surely, through help from both traditional and alternative treatments, I am managing to stay on top of it.

I’m starting to understand how simple self-care habits and lifestyle adjustments such as exercise, a balanced diet and regular breaks can profoundly affect my mood. Additionally, practicing mindfulness – taking note of how certain activities make me feel and being present in the moment – has helped me a great deal in understanding where I stand mentally and emotionally on any given day.

This journey hasn’t been easy at all - I’m fortunate enough to have had wonderful parents who supported me throughout this process-- nor is it over yet as there are still days when I stumble and grapple with negative thoughts. But by doing what works best for me, believing in myself and not losing sight of the end goal, I’m gradually getting healthier every day.

6 Likes

Hi there - It sounds like you have been on quite a journey. I can relate; it took me a while before I was fully able to tune into my mental health and start seeking help. The fact that you were able to confront your issues and take the necessary steps is something to be proud of!

Managing mental health can definitely be incredibly challenging. It’s really encouraging to hear that despite having difficult moments, you are finding ways to cope with your symptoms, such as self-care habits, lifestyle adjustments, mindfulness exercises, and other forms of treatments. Your parents’ support also sounds invaluable.

I wish you healing and strength on your continuing path towards better wellbeing. Hang in there - keep learning how best to care for yourself and don’t give up hope for a brighter future.

Hi there,

I’m so glad to see that you are taking the necessary steps to improve your mental health and wellbeing. 51 is an incredibly different point in life, and it’s great to see that you’re still pushing through despite whatever struggles may arise. I understand the difficulty of managing mental health symptoms and difficulties with self-care habits and lifestyle adjustments - they can be tricky to transition into but are essential for managing our wellbeing.

From my experience, introducing mindfulness practices has helped me immensely when dealing with difficult emotions or thoughts. It’s made me more mindful of the connections between my mental state and activities which provide comfort or respite as well as giving me a much needed dose of self-awareness and self-appreciation during hard times.

I’m also glad to hear you have had such incredible support from your parents throughout this journey. I suggest exploring further support systems such as therapy if available to you - it can help ease the load of learning how to manage symptoms both in the present moment and long term.

Good luck on the rest of your journey, take great care!

I’m sorry to hear that you have been struggling with your mental health for a few years now. It’s not easy to confront those issues and take the steps towards improving wellbeing, but it’s very brave of you to do that. You’re already on the right track by understanding the importance of self-care regime as well as being mindful of your mental state - it takes time but definitely pays off eventually.

It means a lot that you have had such supportive parents throughout this process, and I’m sure they’ve done everything they can to provide all the necessary resources. Having someone who stands with you every step is incredibly powerful, and it’s comforting to know that no matter how difficult this journey might be, your parents are there to give encouragement when times get tough.

Regardless of what thoughts arise during darker moments, never forget how far you’ve come since beginning your journey and keep striving towards better mental health. You can do this!

Hi there!

I really admire your strength and courage in taking that difficult first step of admitting something was wrong and actively seeking help for it. It takes a lot of courage to confront an issue like this and I’m truly inspired by your story. Mental health is an important subject and it shouldn’t be taken lightly - you’re right that it’s often hard to admit that something’s wrong, but when we do, it ultimately makes the journey much easier.

I can also relate to how challenging it can be to manage your symptoms, both in terms of finding the right coping mechanisms as well as building up healthy habits for long-term results. It sounds like you have found some tools that work for you which is amazing! I think mindfulness is so incredibly powerful and just being aware of how certain activities make us feel is really helpful in understanding what might benefit us the most. Having supportive people around us on our path is invaluable too, so thank you to your parents for their unwavering love through all of this - mine have done the same for me as well.

Ultimately, no two journeys are alike and even on days when progress seems slow or even nonexistent, remember that you are doing the best you can with what you currently have -

Hi there,
I can relate to what you’re going through as I myself am a 54 year old woman who has faced mental health issues in the past. I understand how challenging it can be and there have been moments where it has felt like things were getting worse for me as well.

For me, an important step on my path was to recognize the issue and take the steps necessary to improve my wellbeing. It is not easy but it certainly is possible, and I commend you for doing just that. Finding treatments such as traditional and alternative practices, and engaging in self-care habits such as exercise, a balanced diet and regular breaks are great tips for managing your symptoms. I also found mindfulness incredibly empowering - understanding where I stand mentally and emotionally on any given day has allowed me to be more present and attentive to my needs; don’t give up on this!

Most importantly, don’t forget to remind yourself that you are capable of this - believe in yourself! With support from loved ones like family (such a blessing!) and whatever else works for you, keep fighting towards your goal of improved health; you will get there eventually!

Hi there! I can relate to the struggles you’ve been facing with your mental health. It takes a lot of courage and self-awareness to be able to recognize that something is off and take steps towards improving our wellbeing.

I’m happy to hear that you are finding treatments that work for you, like lifestyle adjustments and mindful practices. It sounds like your parents have been very supportive throughout this process - having that kind of encouragement can make an immense difference in how we care for ourselves and cope with our mental health journey.

It’s important to remember that it’s ok if some days are better than others and that process will take as long as it needs to - don’t compare your own progress against anyone else’s! Take the time you need to nurture yourself, celebrate even small wins, trust in yourself, and stay focused on your end goal - all of these things can help you get healthier on a daily basis.

If ever you want or need someone to talk with about any of this, please know I am here. Sending lots of love and strength your way!