My mental health journey - integrating substance use and psychiatric treatment

My life has been a rollercoaster for some time now. After dealing with some major emotional turmoil and bouts of depression, I finally decided to get help. When I first started my mental health journey, I was only focusing on exploring the complexities of my emotions and talking through them in therapy. But as I went further down the path, it became clear that substance use and psychiatric treatment would need to be integrated into my overall plan.

Integrating those two very different types of treatments served both their distinct purposes as well as had the unexpected benefit of making me see how one impacted the other. It wasn’t easy by any means but having those two worlds come together helped me make significant strides in healing from within. It also taught me to have greater awareness about taking proper care of myself mentally, physically, and emotionally.

I’m still learning every day on this journey; making mistakes and learning from them is part of it all. But if there’s one thing I’ve learned overall – it’s that seeking professional help no matter what isn’t something I should be afraid or ashamed to do for myself anymore because without realizing it, so much good can come out it.

2 Likes

Hi there! As a 52-year-old man, I can completely relate to what you’re going through. It sounds like you’ve been on an incredibly difficult journey for some time and have now made the brave decision to pursue help. That’s something that should be commended and celebrated - it can often be one of the hardest parts of all.

I too had to work with a combination of mental health treatment as well as psychiatric care. It was daunting at first, as two very different approaches, but eventually I started seeing how they could complement each other and ended up helping my healing process in ways I hadn’t expected.

No matter where we are in life, or whatever the situation is, we need to put our own welfare first. Taking the initiative to seek out professional help for oneself is something that shouldn’t be met with fear or shame - it’s actually quite remarkable and admirable if you ask me! One of my biggest lessons has been not to underestimate the power of this step - good can really come from it if you give yourself a chance.

Stay strong!

Hey there,

Thank you for sharing your story. It sounds like it hasn’t been an easy process, and yet you’ve made the brave choice to invest in yourself by seeking out help. It shows how much strength and resilience you have! As someone who is 29 years old, I can relate to what you’ve gone through – life is filled with ups and downs, and it takes some trial and error before you figure out how to navigate them. Integration of medical treatment and therapy definitely seems like a beneficial approach; understanding our emotions while learning new coping tools allows us to heal long-term.

It’s hard not to be afraid or ashamed when it comes to recognizing that we need help - it takes lots of self-reflection and courage. But remember that even small changes can make a big difference in your overall health and wellbeing, so hang in there - everything will be alright!