My mental health after trauma

It has been a long road to recovery since the trauma I experienced. For a while, I thought that the psychological impact was something that I could figure out and heal all on my own. However, after months of trying unsuccessfully, I knew it was time to ask for help.

I’ve been trying to be more mindful of my mental health since then, making sure that I take care of myself and assess how different events affect me in the moment. Some days are better than others, but overall, I’m feeling much better than when this journey began.

Being able to tell someone–to open up about how I have felt every step of the way–has been so helpful in maintaining positive mental health. Friends and family check-in with me more often now, and knowing that people are looking out for me and supporting me in this process has made me feel less isolated with my struggles.

I’ve also committed myself to understanding not just my trauma but also the root causes of it and how far-reaching its effects can be. This exploration has helped shape not only how difficult moments may affect me in the future but also given me perspective on things like stress management—things that will make me better equipped to handle what life throws at me down the line.

I still have moments where everything can become overwhelming quickly; there are days where my feelings seem heavier than normal. Thankfully, now though, I am confident enough to know that asking for help is a safe option - one that won’t leave me struggling alone anymore.

2 Likes

I’m so glad that you have taken the time to reach out for the help you need. It can be really difficult to start that journey and to ask for support, but I truly believe it is worth it. Having been through something similar myself, I know first hand how trauma can have an impact on our mental health and that some of those effects are hard to fix without reaching out.

Like you, I’ve found education to be really important when it comes to managing my mental health. Learning more about why certain things happen or how they affect us has really helped me become more aware of myself and my responses - which in turn has allowed me to find better ways to handle different situations. It is also amazing having a strong network of people around who understand when I am having a tough day, or just need someone to talk to. Knowing that these people will be there for me regardless makes all the difference in helping me feel supported during tough times.

I hope that no matter what challenges come up, you continue finding strength within yourself and take solace in all of your successes so far. You’ve come this far and now you have the confidence and know-how needed to manage any situation life throws your

Hey, it’s great to hear that you’re making progress with your mental health. It’s not easy to ask for help, but it’s such an important step in getting better. I can relate to those days where everything feels heavier than normal, but being able to lean on friends and family for support can really make a difference. It’s awesome that you’re committed to understanding the root causes of your trauma and how it affects you. That kind of self-awareness will definitely make it easier to handle tough moments in the future. Keep up the good work and remember that it’s okay to ask for help when things get overwhelming. You’re not alone in this!