My mdd experience so far

The past few years have been difficult, but I can honestly say that I am beginning to make some progress. Going through a mental health illness has been a roller coaster ride for me.

I was diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder (MDD) about two years ago and it has had a very big impact on my life ever since. At first, thinking about having MDD made me feel ashamed and embarrassed because of the stigma surrounding it. But gradually, I started to learn more about it and become more comfortable talking about my mental illness with family and friends.

I have tried multiple different types of treatments including psychotherapy, medication, meeting with psychiatrists, attending support groups, behavior modification techniques, as well as lifestyle changes. While none of them are easy tasks to do alone; they have slowly helped improve my overall mood stability.

Learning how to cope with a long-term mental illness was not something I thought I could do, mostly because I wasn’t sure if anything would actually work for me. Thankfully, there are multiple resources available out there that can help you better manage your day-to-day living while still allowing you to take care of yourself at the same time. It is essential to maintain whatever treatment plan your doctor recommends so that you can keep trying until something works for you.

My MDD experience hasn’t been easy by any means but there definitely has been some sort of growth and maturity because of all the hard work that I have done on myself. I recognize that this is an ongoing journey for me but ultimately it is one worth taking as life can be meaningful even when living with challenges.

2 Likes

Hey, it sounds like you’ve been through a lot, but I’m so glad to hear that you’re starting to make some progress. Dealing with MDD can definitely be tough, and it’s totally okay to feel ashamed or embarrassed at first. I went through the same thing when I was first diagnosed. But it’s awesome that you’ve been able to open up to your family and friends about it - having a support system is so important. And it’s great that you’ve been trying out different treatments and techniques, even though I know it can be really challenging. It’s true that finding what works for you can take time, but it’s so worth it when you start to see improvements in your mood. Just remember to be patient with yourself and celebrate even the small victories. It’s clear that you’ve already come a long way, and I have no doubt that you’ll continue to grow and find ways to manage your MDD. Keep up the awesome work!

Hey, it sounds like you’ve been through a lot. I’m also dealing with MDD and it can be tough. I totally get what you mean about feeling ashamed at first, but I’ve found that being open about it with my family and friends has made a big difference. It’s great that you’ve been trying out different treatments and finding things that work for you. It can be a long process, but it’s worth it in the end. Keep staying strong and taking care of yourself - you’re doing amazing!