My Experience With Major Depressive Disorder with Psychotic Features

Mental health has always been a topic I’ve been keenly aware of. I have my fair share of issues like we all do. But when I was about 21, the challenges I faced hit an extreme level that required immediate medical attention. That was when I found out that I had Major Depressive Disorder with Psychotic Features (MDD-PF).

It started with unpredictable shifts in mood and energy levels, leading to low self-esteem, difficulty in concentrating, problems sleeping, and eventually suicidal thoughts and delusions of being persecuted. It felt like my world was turned upside down overnight - it seemed like everything I did was wrong and no amount of motivation or reassurance could make me feel better.

The road to recovery has been a long one but luckily there are effective treatments available for MDD-PF. While medication has definitely helped in stabilizing my body chemistry across the longitudinal course of this illness, therapy has also made a huge difference in my life. By challenging the irrational negative thoughts and cognitive distortions created by depression, cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) has enabled me to gain control over my mental state both by identifying thought patterns and shifting them forthwith.

My hope is that seeing how far I have come will give others going through something similar strength to stay resilient amidst dark times - understanding what you’re dealing with can be daunting, but it is essential to take the necessary steps to seek help from qualified professionals. Reflecting on my experience helps make sense of where I am today; reflecting on your own journey can definitely help you too!

1 Like

I can relate to your experience with MDD-PF. It’s amazing that you have been able to gain control of your mental health with the help of medication and CBT. I’m sure it hasn’t been easy but it’s wonderful how far you have come. Even in the midst of dark times, it’s important to stay resilient and seek the necessary support and understanding from qualified professionals. Everyone’s journey is different when it comes to managing mental health, but every small victory is worth celebrating!