My experience with impulsive obsessive disorder

I have been dealing with Impulsive Obsessive Disorder for a while now. As somebody living with mental health issues, I can relate to the inner turmoil of this particular disorder.

When it comes to dealing with IOD, I have had some difficult days as well as many good ones. On the bad days, my mind can become flooded and chaotic. The intrusive thoughts make it hard for me to focus on anything else except how those thoughts make me feel. I can resort to desperate measures trying to get them out of my head; sometimes even leading to physical problems because of the amount of energy that is released due to anxiety. On days like that, simply putting one foot in front of the other can be quite challenging.

On the brighter side however, I have noticed an increase in self-awareness that has come with time and trying different kinds of coping strategies for my disorder. The world doesn’t seem so cloudy when I am able to keep ahold of myself and remember what really matters in life; such as spending quality time with loved ones or enjoying an activity or hobby that brings me joy and purpose. Even though it’s certainly not easy living with this condition, if you remain mindful and learn what works best for you personally it is possible to manage symptoms effectively.

1 Like

Hi there,

It sounds like you’re going through some really tough times with your IOD, and it’s wonderful that you are reaching out to others in this forum who may be able to relate. It takes a lot of courage to do this and I admire your strength.

I’m 26 years old myself and understand what it feels like to live with a mental health issue. Despite its challenges, I have been able to find ways to cope with my IOD that help me manage my symptoms more effectively. Taking breaks when needed, writing down my thoughts, or simply speaking openly with friends about how I’m feeling have all been helpful for me. Furthermore, although there will still be difficult days that come up at times, I believe having the right attitude of setting realistic personal goals goes a long way to minimizing stress levels.

Living with a mental health disorder can be intimidating and overwhelming all too often but finding support - whether from this forum or other sources of help - is crucial in finding the best kind of relief for you personally. Do not hesitate to reach out; taking the time for yourself is an invaluable part of managing your mental health!

Take care and all the best~