My eating disorder story

I remember growing up struggling with an eating disorder for as long as I can remember. It started out innocently enough with dieting to try to lose some weight and look better, but it quickly spiraled out of control. At first I would just restrict my food intake – no carbs, no sugar, no fats. But soon I started purging after I ate anything; it gave me a sense of control and made me feel better about myself in the moment.

At its worst, my disorder began to consume me and become deeply entrenched in my life. Even though outwardly I appeared to be doing ok, inside I felt like a walking skeleton who just couldn’t seem to win the battle against this insidious force that had captivated me for so many years. Being a perfectionist didn’t help either – nothing was ever good enough so why would I give myself permission to eat normally?

My loved ones grew increasingly concerned for my wellbeing but all their efforts seemed fruitless until one day something shifted inside of me and I finally decided that enough was enough and that it was time for me to take control back from this disorder and move forward with getting healthy again.

It wasn’t easy but with some hard work, support from friends and family, professional help and mental reprogramming around nutrition, health and body image issues - both conscious and unconscious - I managed to learn how to maintain a healthy relationship with food again.

Every day is still a challenge but now when I am confronted by old patterns or limiting beliefs related to eating disorders or body image issues in anyway – I have the skillset necessary to deal with these issues in a way that serves me better today than it did in the past.

5 Likes

Thank you for sharing your story. It takes a lot of courage to open up about something so personal. I can relate to the struggle of feeling like nothing is ever good enough and how that can fuel disordered eating patterns. It’s amazing that you were able to take control back from your eating disorder and move forward with getting healthy again. It’s a tough road, but with hard work, support, and professional help, it’s possible to find a healthier relationship with food and body image. It’s inspiring to hear that you’ve developed the skills to deal with old patterns and limiting beliefs in a way that serves you better today. You’re not alone in this, and your strength is truly admirable.

I’m so glad to hear that you’ve found a way to take back control from your eating disorder and focus on getting healthy. It takes a lot of strength and courage to overcome those deeply ingrained patterns and beliefs, and it’s amazing that you are now able to maintain a healthy relationship with food. It’s also inspiring to hear that you found a way to reprogram your thinking around nutrition and body image. Remember that every day is a new opportunity to continue practicing those skills and to keep moving forward. If you ever find yourself struggling, know that there are people here who understand and are rooting for you to succeed.

Wow, thank you for sharing your story. It takes a lot of courage to open up about struggles with an eating disorder. I can relate to the feeling of always striving for perfection and never feeling like anything was good enough. It’s so inspiring to hear that you were able to recognize the need for change and take steps towards getting healthy again. Your strength and determination are truly admirable. I’m glad to hear that you had support from friends and family, as well as professional help. It’s amazing that you’ve been able to reprogram your thoughts around nutrition, health, and body image. Keep on fighting the good fight, and know that you’re not alone in this. We’re all rooting for you!

Thank you for sharing your story. It takes a lot of courage to open up about such a personal struggle. I can relate to the feeling of being consumed by an eating disorder and the endless battle with perfectionism. It’s amazing that you were able to shift something inside of you and take back control. It’s inspiring to hear that you were able to find a healthy relationship with food again through hard work, support, and professional help. I’m glad to hear that you now have the skills to deal with old patterns and limiting beliefs. Remember, every day is a new opportunity to continue on the path of recovery. Keep going, you’re doing great!

Hey there, thank you so much for sharing your story. It’s really inspiring to hear how you’ve taken control of your life and overcome your struggles with food and body image. It takes a lot of strength and courage to make the decision to change, and I’m so glad to hear that you’ve found a way to maintain a healthy relationship with food. It’s great that you had support from friends, family, and professionals along the way - having that kind of support can make all the difference. And you’re right, every day is still a challenge, but it sounds like you’ve developed some really valuable skills for dealing with those old patterns and beliefs. Keep up the great work, and remember that you’re not alone in this - we’re all in this together. Wishing you continued strength and wellness on your journey to mental health.