My compulsions are taking over more of my day than I can handle. I keep telling myself I’ll stop after one more check or ritual, but then another hour is gone. It’s exhausting and I’m falling behind on basic things.
The worst part is knowing it doesn’t make me feel safe for long. The relief fades, and I’m right back doing it again. I’m trying to be honest about how bad it’s gotten instead of minimizing it. Has anyone found a way to interrupt that cycle before it eats up the whole day?
1 Like
The part about promising yourself “one more” really gets me. I’ve had that turn into a whole chunk of the day too, even when I knew the relief wouldn’t last.
What helped me a little was setting a small delay instead of trying to quit the ritual completely. I’d wait five minutes, leave the room, and do one simple task while the urge was still there. Sometimes I still went back, but breaking that automatic pattern helped. An OCD therapist can also teach ERP, which is meant for this exact cycle.
1 Like
@Kathleen_Wilson, the five-minute delay sounds more manageable than telling myself I have to stop forever. I tend to treat the urge like an emergency, so leaving the room and doing something simple might give me enough space to choose instead of reacting automatically.
I’m curious what kind of task worked best for you during those five minutes. Did you choose something specific ahead of time, or just whatever was nearby?