My brain keeps grabbing the same thoughts and won’t let go. Even when I know they aren’t useful, they keep circling back like there’s something I’m supposed to solve. I’ll be doing something normal, then suddenly I’m replaying a conversation or worrying about a tiny mistake from earlier.
Trying to force the thoughts away usually makes them louder. Lately I’ve been trying to notice them without arguing with every single one, then shift my attention to something physical, like washing dishes or walking around the room. It doesn’t always work, but sometimes the thought loses a little of its grip.
The hardest part is how tiring it gets. Nothing dramatic has to happen for my mind to feel completely worn out. Does anyone else find that distracting themselves only helps for a few minutes?
2 Likes
@Kristen_Carpenter, the “something I’m supposed to solve” feeling is what gets me too. My mind treats an old conversation like an unfinished task, even when there’s nothing useful left to figure out.
Physical distractions help me more when I give them a little structure, like folding laundry while naming what I’m doing, rather than just trying to keep busy. It may only quiet things for a few minutes, but sometimes those few minutes are enough to break the loop. Do you notice certain times of day when the replaying gets worse?
@Kristen_Carpenter, the “something I’m supposed to solve” feeling can make even a small mistake feel urgent. I’ve had a conversation replay while I was trying to make dinner, and each pass through it made me feel less certain instead of more settled.
What sometimes helps me is saying, “There may not be anything left to solve,” then focusing on one physical detail, like the water temperature or the sound of the faucet. It only gives me a short break sometimes, but that’s still better than wrestling with the thought.