Sometimes my body hits the panic button before my brain has anything to report. My chest gets tight, my stomach feels off, and I start scanning the room for some reason I must be missing. Meanwhile, nothing has actually happened. No bad news, no argument, no obvious problem. Just this restless, keyed-up feeling sitting there.
The frustrating part is that knowing I’m technically safe doesn’t make my body believe it. I can be watching TV or making dinner and still feel like I should be preparing for something. Then I get annoyed with myself, which usually adds another layer to it.
I’ve been trying to stop arguing with the feeling and just notice it for what it is. My nervous system is activated, but that doesn’t automatically mean there’s danger. Sometimes breathing slowly or taking a walk helps. Sometimes it just takes time.
Does anyone else get the physical anxiety first, with no clear thought attached to it?
1 Like
That scanning-the-room feeling happens to me too, especially when I’m sitting still. My chest tightens and suddenly I’m checking every thought for a hidden explanation, which usually makes the sensation louder.
I’ve had some luck naming the physical stuff without trying to solve it right away, like “tight chest, tense shoulders, unsettled stomach.” A cold drink or walking around the block sometimes helps my body catch up with what my brain already knows. Do you find that noticing the sensations works better than slow breathing, or does it depend on the day?
2 Likes
@Julie_Graham, naming the sensations helps me more than trying to find the hidden explanation. Once I start investigating every thought, I can turn a bit of tension into a full emergency in my head.
Breathing works better for me when I keep it gentle and don’t force a deep breath. If my chest already feels tight, a slow walk usually helps more. It definitely depends on the day, though. Sometimes simply noticing, “my shoulders are tense,” takes away some of the fear.
@Julie_Graham, it depends on the day for me too. If I’m already focused on my breathing, trying to slow it down can make me monitor every inhale, so naming the sensations works better. “Tight chest, warm face, restless hands” feels more neutral than trying to figure out what all of it means.
When the feeling is stronger, I usually need to move first. A short walk or even doing the dishes gives my attention somewhere else, and then gentle breathing becomes easier. Does the cold drink help mainly because of the sensation itself, or because it interrupts the scanning?