My battle with major affective disorder

Today I’m feeling a little all over the place as I reflect on my struggles with major affective disorder. It’s been a long journey to get here, and it’s been difficult to manage the many ups and downs that have come with this diagnosis.

Sometimes it makes me feel like I’m riding an emotional roller coaster that is just too much for my own control. A big part of recovery has been learning to recognize the signs when I’m in danger of becoming overwhelmed or triggering an episode.

That hasn’t always been easy, but one thing that has helped is recognizing how interconnected everyone and everything are. Knowing how connected we all are reminds me there isn’t anything I’m going through alone – even on the days when it feels like it.

It also helps to give back whenever possible - helping other people can help break out of our own thoughts for awhile and focus on something bigger than ourselves.
Overcoming these struggles has been one of the most empowering experiences of my life - only after facing something so difficult do you truly understand just how strong you are and can be.