I’ve noticed some mild OCD symptoms starting to interfere with my daily routine. It’s not constant, but I get stuck checking things like the door, the stove, or whether I sent an email correctly. I know I already checked, but the doubt keeps coming back, and sometimes I repeat it just to feel settled.
The hardest part is how much time it quietly takes. A few minutes here and there can turn into being late, putting off chores, or losing focus on something I was doing. I’m trying not to dismiss it just because it seems mild, since it’s beginning to affect my day more than I expected.
Has anyone found ways to manage these symptoms before they become more disruptive?
@Rachel_Henderson, noticing the time it takes is a useful first step. Those “few minutes” can add up before you realize how much of the day they’re taking.
One thing that helped me was setting a clear limit before checking, such as checking the stove once and then leaving the room. The doubt may still be there, but I try not to treat that feeling as proof something is wrong. Writing down what happened can help show the pattern too.
Since it’s already affecting your routine, it may be worth mentioning to a therapist or doctor. OCD-focused CBT, especially exposure and response prevention, can be very practical for this kind of checking.
The part about not treating doubt as proof really helped me. I used to think I needed to feel completely certain before leaving the house, which made every check feel unfinished.
I started taking one photo of the locked door before leaving. It gives me one concrete reference if the urge comes back, but I still limit myself to looking at it once instead of reopening the photo repeatedly. It hasn’t erased the doubt, but it keeps it from running the whole morning.