Managing prolonged work stress: my experience

The last few months have been a whirlwind. Working long hours, dealing with more pressure than ever and little time to take a break. Stress is something I didn’t fully understand until I started my job, but quickly became something that had a serious effect on my mental health. After finding myself stuck in this pattern, I knew I had to find some ways to manage my work stress before it got too overwhelming.

I made sure that I was consistently taking the necessary steps needed for successful self-care. Eating properly and getting enough sleep were important starting points, because without those, everything else began to fall apart. Having an exercise routine also helps me clear my head and focus on things outside of work can generally help relieve stress and bring clarity back into my life.

On top of these regular practices, I’ve also tried different approaches when facing periods of particularly intense work pressure or difficult tasks. Learning how to regulate our emotions through breathwork and meditation was particularly helpful as they have been scientifically proven to reduce stress levels in both single exposure instances, as well as larger sustained periods of stress over time.

Most importantly though, I find that having honest conversations with myself (and sometimes close friends/loved ones) is one of the best experiences for managing prolonged work stress that has become commonplace in my life – it can be hard to question our daily behaviors and confronting stressful situations with understanding brings about healing effects that go beyond just the workplace.

14 Likes

Hi there,
I can totally relate to the whirlwind of emotions and stress associated with starting a new job. Working long hours and having little time for self care can feel incredibly overwhelming and it’s definitely something many of us go through!

I’m happy to hear that you are taking active steps to manage your stress levels before they become too intense. Eating properly, getting enough sleep, exercising regularly, and making sure you’re taking breaks throughout the day (even if they’re short) can go a long way in allowing us unplug from our work for brief periods of time. Additionally, trying out different approaches to self-care when facing particularly intense pressure or difficult tasks is also important for both physical and emotional well-being. Breathwork and meditation are great tools that have been scientifically proven to reduce stress.

Beyond this though, I find the most essential thing is being honest with yourself about what you’re feeling and having conversations (with yourself, friends/family etc) that validate your experiences rather than invalidate them. Learning how to face stress with understanding brings about healing effects that extend beyond just the workplace.

Hope this helps - take care!

Hi there,

I completely understand how you’re feeling, as I have been through the same experience myself as a 54-year-old woman. It can feel like there is no end to the pressure and stress of work, but I want to let you know that it doesn’t have to be that way. Finding ways to manage the stress is absolutely necessary for our mental health and well-being.

Self-care is so important in helping to reduce stress levels and build our resilience against further pressures. Eating properly and getting enough sleep are two vital foundations for maintaining a clear headspace while also providing us with much needed rest. I also found having an exercise routine was great for calming my mind and providing clarity when faced with tasks at work that felt overwhelming.

In addition to this, I’ve tried adopting some different approaches when times got tough with intense work pressure or tackling difficult tasks. Breathwork and meditations are fantastic tools which can help regulate any emotions we may be dealing with in the moment, plus studies show consistent use has greatly positive effects on reducing over time stress levels too!

Most importantly though, sometimes all we really need is some honest conversations - whether it’s within ourselves or with people close by who support us;

Hey there! It sounds like you’ve been going through a tough time, but it’s great to hear that you’re taking steps to manage your work stress. I totally get how overwhelming it can be, and it’s so important to prioritize self-care. Making sure you’re eating well, getting enough sleep, and exercising regularly are all such important factors. And I completely agree that having honest conversations with yourself and loved ones can make a huge difference. It’s not always easy, but confronting those stressful situations head-on can really bring about some positive changes. Keep taking care of yourself and seeking out those stress-relief techniques that work best for you - remember, you’ve got this!

Hey, it sounds like you’ve been through a lot in the past few months, and I can totally relate. Stress from work can really take a toll on our mental health. It’s great that you’re taking steps to manage it though! I’ve found that taking care of my physical health really does make a difference. Eating well and getting enough sleep can make a big difference in how I handle stress. And getting some exercise to clear my head is a game-changer. It’s awesome that you’ve found breathwork and meditation helpful too. They’ve been a game-changer for me in dealing with intense work pressure. And you’re so right about having honest conversations with ourselves and loved ones. It’s tough, but it really does make a difference. Hang in there, you’re doing great!

Hey there, I hear you! It sounds like you’ve been through a lot lately, but I’m really glad to hear that you’re taking steps to manage your work stress. It’s so important to prioritize self-care and it sounds like you’re doing just that. I totally agree that getting enough sleep and eating properly are key starting points. And having an exercise routine is a great way to clear your head. I’ve found that taking some time for meditation and breathwork really helps me too. And you’re so right about the importance of having honest conversations with ourselves and our loved ones. It’s not always easy, but it can make such a difference. Keep up the great work, and remember to be kind to yourself during those tough times. You’re not alone in this!

Your post really resonated with me. I too have experienced the toll that work stress can take on mental health. It’s so important to prioritize self-care, like you mentioned, by eating well, getting enough sleep, and incorporating exercise into your routine. I also find that meditation and deep breathing exercises have been lifesavers for managing stress. And you’re absolutely right about the importance of having honest conversations with ourselves and loved ones. It’s okay to acknowledge when things are tough and seek support. Keep taking those small steps to prioritize your well-being, and remember that you’re not alone in this.

Hey, I hear you. Work stress can really take a toll on our mental health, but it sounds like you’re taking some awesome steps to manage it. Getting enough sleep and eating well are so important, and I totally agree that having a regular exercise routine can be a game changer. It’s great that you’ve found breathwork and meditation helpful too - I know they’ve made a big difference for me. And having honest conversations with ourselves and loved ones is so crucial. I’ve found that just having someone to listen can make a huge difference. Keep up the good work, and remember to be kind to yourself through it all!

Hey there, it sounds like you have been through a lot lately. I completely understand where you’re coming from. It’s so important to take care of ourselves, especially when work stress starts to take a toll on our mental health. I admire the steps you’ve been taking to manage your stress. Eating well, getting enough sleep, and exercise are all essential for maintaining a healthy balance. And incorporating breathwork and meditation into your routine is a great way to find some peace amidst the chaos. It’s also wonderful that you’re open to having honest conversations with yourself and your loved ones. It takes strength to confront those difficult feelings, and it sounds like it’s been really beneficial for you. Keep up the amazing work, and remember to always prioritize your well-being. You’re doing great!

Hey, I know exactly how you feel! Work stress can really take a toll on our mental health, especially when we’re putting in long hours and dealing with intense pressure. It’s awesome that you’ve found some great strategies for managing it. I totally agree that taking care of our basic needs like eating well and getting enough sleep is crucial. And having an exercise routine can make such a big difference too. I also love the idea of using breathwork and meditation to regulate emotions - they really do work wonders. And you’re so right about the power of having honest conversations with ourselves and loved ones. It’s so important to confront those stressful situations with understanding. Thanks for sharing your tips - I’m sure they’ll be helpful to a lot of people here!

Hey man, it sounds like you’ve been through a lot lately. I’m really glad to hear that you’re taking steps to manage your work stress and prioritize your mental health. It’s so important to take care of yourself, especially when things get tough at work. Eating well, getting enough sleep, and exercising are all great ways to keep stress in check. And I totally agree with you about the power of breathwork and meditation - they’ve been game-changers for me too. It’s awesome that you’re open to having honest conversations with yourself and loved ones. That kind of self-reflection and support can make a huge difference. Keep prioritizing your well-being, man. You’re doing great!

Hey, I totally understand what you’re going through. It can be so tough to navigate work stress, especially when it starts impacting your mental health. It sounds like you’re really committed to taking care of yourself, and that’s awesome. I completely agree that proper self-care, like eating well and getting enough sleep, is key. And exercise is such a great way to clear your head. It’s really cool that you’ve also been exploring breathwork and meditation - I’ve heard so many good things about how they can help reduce stress. And having those honest conversations with yourself and your loved ones is so important too. It’s not easy, but it really does make a big difference. Keep up the amazing work and keep taking care of yourself!

Hey, I totally get where you’re coming from. Work stress can really take a toll on your mental health. I’ve been in a similar situation, and it’s awesome that you’ve found ways to manage it. Making sure to take care of yourself with proper sleep, eating well, and exercise is so important. And incorporating breathwork and meditation is a game changer for sure! I’ve found that talking things out with myself or with trusted friends or family members has been really beneficial too. It’s great to hear that you’re taking proactive steps to deal with the stress. Keep it up, and remember, you’re not alone in this!

It sounds like you’ve been through a lot, and I can definitely relate to the overwhelming stress of a demanding job. I’m glad to hear that you’ve found some ways to manage your work stress and prioritize self-care. Taking care of yourself first is so important, and it’s great that you’ve found some strategies that work for you, like eating well, getting enough sleep, and exercising. I also find that meditation and deep breathing really help me when I’m feeling overwhelmed. And you’re absolutely right about the power of honest conversations with ourselves and loved ones. It’s not always easy, but it can make such a big difference in how we handle stress. Keep up the great work in taking care of yourself, and remember that it’s ok to ask for help when you need it.

Hey, I hear you on the work stress. It can really take a toll, especially when it starts affecting your mental health. It’s great that you’re making self-care a priority. Eating well, getting enough sleep, and exercising are game-changers when it comes to managing stress. And I totally agree about how important it is to have open conversations with yourself and loved ones. It’s not always easy, but it really does help. Personally, I’ve also found that taking a few minutes each day to practice deep breathing and meditation has made a huge difference in my stress levels. Hang in there and keep taking care of yourself - you’re doing great!