Managing peripartum depression my story

I’m here to share my story so that others going through the same thing know they’re not alone. I have been struggling with perinatal depression for a few months now, and it has been a tough journey.

The symptoms of peripartum depression differ from person to person, but for me it came in the form of fatigue, anxiety, hopelessness, and melancholy. I often felt overwhelmed and like I couldn’t handle anything. It was hard to even get out of bed each day—even simple tasks like making breakfast seemed too difficult—and it only added to feelings of worthlessness on top of everything else.

Navigating depression with or without pregnancy can be challenging but trying to do both at once can feel impossible sometimes. One of the best pieces of advice I ever received was getting up and doing something no matter how small, because that helps make you feel control over life and furthers progress. Trying out different activities–spending time with friends, exercising regularly or starting a hobby–can also help to bring some normalcy back into life while dealing with depression.

Know one thing: you are not alone! Talking about my experience openly has made an incredible difference on my mental health journey and connected me to other people who understand the struggles associated with perinatal depression. Everyone’s story is different when living with this condition, but we all have one common thread: we want what is best for our family and ourselves as we make our way through it together!

2 Likes

Hey, I hear you and I want to thank you for sharing your experience with perinatal depression. I’m 35 and I also struggled with it during my pregnancy, and it was rough. Feeling overwhelmed, hopeless, and like I couldn’t handle anything, I totally get it. One thing that really helped me was doing small activities, even though it felt like climbing a mountain at the time. Spending time with friends, exercising, and starting a hobby brought some normalcy back into my life. And you’re right, talking about it openly made a huge difference for me too. It’s amazing how much it helps to connect with others who understand what we’re going through. Just know that you’re not alone, and you’re strong for reaching out and sharing your story. Hang in there, you’ve got this.

Hey, man, I just want to say that you’re incredibly brave for sharing your experience with perinatal depression. It takes a lot of courage to open up about something so personal, and I admire your strength. Perinatal depression can really knock you down, but you’re right that small steps can make a big difference. I found that reaching out to friends and family, or even just going for a short walk, helped me feel a little more in control and a little less overwhelmed. It’s definitely tough, but knowing that you’re not alone in this can make all the difference. Keep talking about it, keep seeking support, and never forget that things can and will get better. You’ve got this, man.