Looking for support with mental health and addiction advocacy

I’m looking for support with getting involved in mental health and addiction advocacy, but I’m not sure where to begin. I’ve dealt with both issues personally, and I remember sitting in a community meeting with a folder full of resources, realizing most of them were too complicated or expensive for the people who needed them most. That stuck with me.

I’d like to help with outreach, sharing lived experience, or speaking up about gaps in treatment without taking on more than I can handle. Are there good places to find local coalitions, peer-led groups, or beginner-friendly advocacy opportunities?

1 Like

That folder experience is a strong place to start. You could contact a local peer support organization, recovery community center, or county behavioral health office and ask specifically about one-time volunteer roles or introductory meetings.

I started with a small task at a community resource fair, helping people find the right table instead of trying to explain every service. It let me see how the group worked without committing to a major role. Setting a clear limit on your time and keeping personal stories private when needed can help you stay involved without taking on too much.

1 Like

@Paul_Burton, the idea of helping people find the right table makes advocacy feel much less intimidating. It shows that being useful doesn’t always mean having all the answers.

I once helped at a small support event by checking people in and pointing them toward the right information. Keeping to that simple role made it easier to stay present without feeling responsible for fixing everything.