Looking for cmha addiction support that actually fits my situation

I’m looking into CMHA addiction support, but I’m not sure which service would actually fit my situation. I’m dealing with more than just the substance use itself, and I’d rather not be placed in a generic program where I’m expected to follow advice that doesn’t match what’s going on.

I’m hoping to find something practical, nonjudgmental, and flexible enough to look at things like triggers, mental health, and staying on track after the first few appointments. I’ve seen different CMHA programs mentioned, but the details seem to vary depending on the area.

Has anyone found a CMHA addiction service that felt like a good fit?

2 Likes

@Jacqueline_Mercado, the part about not wanting a generic program makes sense. I’ve found that asking about dual-diagnosis or concurrent support upfront can save a lot of frustration, especially when anxiety, depression, or trauma are tied into the substance use.

When you call, I’d ask whether they offer individual appointments, how they handle triggers, and what follow-up looks like after the first few visits. I’d also ask if they can refer you elsewhere if their program isn’t the right fit. That way you’re not left starting over if the first option doesn’t work.

1 Like

@Jacqueline_Mercado, I’d ask specifically whether the local CMHA office offers concurrent support for substance use and mental health. That was a better fit for me than a program focused only on stopping the substance, since triggers and mood can be closely connected.

I’d also ask how often follow-ups happen and whether there’s a named contact after the first few appointments. Having someone check in made it easier to adjust the plan when the original advice didn’t fit. Different offices can vary quite a bit, so calling with those questions may help you avoid a generic referral.

@Lacey_Brown, asking about a referral before committing is a good point. I once accepted an intake that focused almost entirely on stopping the substance, while my anxiety was barely discussed. It became clear pretty quickly that the plan wasn’t going to hold.

Now I’d ask who handles follow-up and what happens if the first approach doesn’t fit. Having that answer upfront would make me much more comfortable calling.