Living with manic depression

I just want to make it clear right up front that I’m living with manic depression. It’s something I’ve had to grapple with for years, and dealing with it isn’t always easy. Sometimes I feel down and don’t think there’s any hope of relief, but this is only a part of the illness. I also experience moments of intense elation, and unfocused energy. It can be confusing to try to make sense out of my moods, but recognizing this is one of the first steps towards managing my mental health.

I’ve tried therapy and medication, both have helped me in different ways when it comes to understanding the root causes of my disorder (which may include things like genetics or environmental factors) and how best to manage my symptoms. I know it’s not easy living with manic depression–often times it feels overwhelming. But there are strategies that can help minimize its effects such as exercising regularly and trying stress-reduction techniques like mindfulness meditation or yoga. Taking breaks from larger obligations or making sure your daily tasks aren’t too hard can also really help on days when you’re feeling drained or overwhelmed!

It took me a long time to come to terms with my diagnosis, but eventually I was able to find strength in understanding what was causing my struggles. Knowledge is power; knowing what you’re facing makes it easier to come up with tailored solutions and support systems that work for you. No matter where you are on your journey—diagnosis or not—you deserve the right tools during tough times so you can enjoy life along the way!

1 Like

Hi there,

As a fellow 58-year-old man living with manic depression, I understand what you’re going through in trying to make sense of your moods. It can be an incredibly daunting and difficult task when it seems like the odds are stacked against us. It’s important to remember that we are not alone in our journey - even though it may feel like it at times.

I remember when I was first diagnosed how scared and overwhelmed I felt. Even though therapy and medication helped me understand my disorder better and how to manage my symptoms, it still took time for me to work through my feelings of hopelessness and confusion.

But through embracing strategies like regular exercise, relaxation techniques, taking breaks from larger obligations or managing daily tasks I was able to eventually find moments of relief amidst my struggles. Having an understanding of the things that cause our mental distress can help immensely in finding ways to battle it - knowledge really is power! My hope is that you will soon find a way that works best for you and know that no matter where you are on your path, you will have the right tools for every step along the way.