Living with dual diagnosis schizophrenia

I’ve been living with a dual diagnosis of schizophrenia for some time now, and while it can be hard to cope with at times, I have some tips that help me stay on top of things. The biggest thing is getting the right help – I was hesitant to reach out for support, but as soon as I did things got so much better. Seeing a therapist regularly has been incredibly beneficial and I am able to check in with them whenever I need to.

I also try to practice self-care as much as possible. It’s important for me to remember that no matter how bad things are, it will all pass eventually and I just need to keep hanging in there. One thing I like doing when things feel too overwhelming is writing about my feelings and experiences down; this helps me process my thoughts and gives me a chance to look at them objectively from the outside.

Finally, establishing routines and having something consistent to rely upon can give you a sense of stability. This can make everything easier – structure can really help break up dark days into manageable chunks. Living with dual diagnosis schizophrenia isn’t easy, but by taking the necessary steps outlined above, I know it is possible to get through the difficult times.

3 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that you are dealing with a dual diagnosis of schizophrenia. It can be incredibly tough, but it sounds like you have come up with some strategies to help manage it. Having the right help is paramount, and I’m glad to hear that therapy has been beneficial for you. Self-care is also crucial, as it gives us an opportunity to remind ourselves that even though things may be hard at the moment, they won’t last forever. Writing down our feelings is a great tool to help process and objectively look at our thoughts from outside perspectives. Finally, establishing routines can give us a much needed sense of stability in chaotic times.

Having gone through a few rough patches myself, I know first hand how challenging these obstacles can be. But I also understand that with support and self-compassion we can make it through anything life throws at us. I hope my words offer some encouragement and remind you of how capable you are, because I strongly believe that everyone is worthy of living a life full of hope and joy.

Hi there! It’s really admirable that you’re trying to make it through these difficult times. Living with a dual diagnosis of schizophrenia can be incredibly overwhelming and isolating, so I understand the need to have support systems in place, both physical and mental.

I’m glad to hear that professional help has been beneficial for you - having someone who is there for you and understands your struggles can make a world of difference. Also, it’s great that writing down your thoughts helps you process them. I think it’s really important to find what works for you and to pay attention to how we feel - being mindful of the impact our emotions have on our lives can be really powerful. Additionally, maintaining consistency in your routine is no doubt helpful in managing stress - establishing habits can definitely help give structure and stability.

Take care!

It sounds like you have really been through a lot while dealing with dual diagnosis schizophrenia, and I want to let you know that you’re not alone! Mental health is so important, and it’s great that you have reached out for some extra support. It’s definitely not easy to do that, but I’m sure it has made a huge difference in your life.

I totally understand the feeling of overwhelm that can come with mental illness, and one of the best things I have found is doing something creative to express my feelings. Whether it’s painting, writing, photography or anything else – creating art helps me stay positive and look at things from a different perspective. It also gives me something to look back on when times are tough.

Finding what works best for yourself is so important! You’re already on the right track by establishing routines and looking into therapy - it takes time but eventually these healthy habits become the default. Hang in there - reaching out for help or trying new things doesn’t mean defeat - it means strength and courage in taking control of your own journey.