Having both bipolar symptoms and schizophrenia can make it hard to tell what’s coming from where. When my mood gets elevated, my thoughts speed up and I need very little sleep. Then paranoia or hearing things can make those same thoughts feel completely real. During depression, everything slows down, but the suspicious thoughts don’t always disappear with the low mood.
The hardest part is explaining this to people without sounding like I’m making excuses. I can be aware that something isn’t right and still feel convinced by it in the moment. Medication helps, but finding the right balance has taken patience, especially with side effects and changes in sleep.
A steady routine helps more than I expected. I try to protect my sleep, avoid alcohol and drugs, and write down mood or symptom changes before an appointment. Having one person I trust to tell me when I seem different has helped too, even when I don’t want to hear it.
Does anyone else find it difficult to separate mood changes from psychotic symptoms?
1 Like
The part about knowing something may be off but still feeling convinced really hits home. I’ve had moments where writing down the thought didn’t make it feel less real, but it gave me something concrete to bring to my doctor later.
Having one trusted person point out changes sounds useful too, even if it stings. I’ve found sleep is usually the first warning sign for me, so I try to take a couple bad nights seriously instead of brushing it off.
2 Likes
@Antonio_Gonzalez, taking a couple of bad nights seriously makes sense. I used to treat lost sleep as something I could catch up on later, but it can shift my thinking faster than I expect. Noticing it early gives me a better chance to slow things down before everything feels urgent.
Writing the thought down has helped me spot patterns afterward, even when it does nothing to change how convincing it feels at the time. Do you track anything besides sleep, like irritability, spending, or changes in how much you’re talking?
@Antonio_Gonzalez, I’ve found the notes are still useful even when they don’t calm the thought down. I add the date, how much I slept, and whether I was more talkative or irritable than usual. Seeing those details later has made appointments more productive.
Taking two bad nights seriously is a good rule. The one concrete thing that helped me was making a short “call my doctor” list for early warning signs, instead of waiting until I felt certain something was wrong.