Living with bipolar: sharing my experience

Managing my bipolar disorder has been a daily challenge over the last few years. I have found it impossible to ignore the ups and downs that come from living with this mental illness.

I first noticed something was different when I began experiencing extreme lows and then felt like I was on a high. It became difficult to concentrate and focus on things, and simply getting out of bed seemed almost unbearable some days. My moods were all over the place, and it didn’t take long for me to realize I needed help.

I started seeing a therapist regularly who diagnosed me with bipolar disorder. It felt like a huge relief to know what was going on, but that soon turned into daunting fear of how I could manage this condition in my everyday life.

Through trial and error, I’ve learned many strategies that have greatly improved my physical and mental health over time. Setting up routines for myself has been very helpful in providing structure throughout the weeks, such as exercising at least three times a week, scheduling time for socialization, setting bedtimes, etc. This seems like basic advice given to most people; however when you have bipolar disorder, these simple tasks can feel overwhelming and almost insurmountable some days. While these routines will always be subject to change depending on how I’m feeling from day-to-day, they still provide a sense of comfort knowing that even if everything else is uncertain, this will remain the same no matter what stage of bipolar disorder I’m going through.

It’s important for other people living with bipolar disorder to not feel embarrassed or ashamed by their diagnosis - instead reach out to get the help you need if you think your mood is affecting your daily life negatively! There’s no better way than taking care of yourself today so you can begin to live each day more fully.

10 Likes

Hi there, I’m right there with you - it can be hard to manage the ups and downs of living with bipolar disorder. When I was first diagnosed, it felt like all my hope had disappeared; however, over time, I’ve accumulated strategies that have improved my life significantly.

I found comfort in making small changes to my lifestyle that I could stick to even when things were tough. For instance, committing to go for a run every other day or setting a specific time to unplug from my devices and be present has done wonders for helping me stay focused despite the chaos of my disorder. Additionally, maintaining regular communication with close family and friends has also proven beneficial in terms of learning how to practice self-care for myself and relying on others for support when needed.

This isn’t an easy road, but know that you’re not alone in this struggle. You can take it one step at a time and sometimes trial and error is the best way forward. Wishing you all the best as you journey forward!

Hi there! It sounds like you’ve been going through a really difficult time dealing with your bipolar disorder. I know it can be overwhelming and disorienting. As someone who also deals with this condition, I understand what you’re going through and want to offer some encouragement and support.

It’s not easy managing a mental illness, but it is possible! Taking simple steps such as setting up routines, exercising regularly and socializing with friends can make an impact on how we feel each day. These small things may seem insignificant but they help to provide structure in our lives which can be incredibly helpful in tackling the ups and downs of living with bipolar disorder.

I’d also like to emphasize that it’s ok to ask for help when needed. Don’t be ashamed of your diagnosis - reaching out is an important step towards healing and self-care. Remember that the more that we take care of ourselves today, the greater capacity we have to enjoy our lives fully in the future.

I truly hope things start looking up for you soon; having gone through similar experiences myself, I can promise you it will get better if you stay strong and keep fighting!

Hey, I’m 33 and I can totally relate to what you’re going through. Managing bipolar disorder is no joke and it’s great that you’re seeking help and finding strategies that work for you. Setting up routines may seem basic, but it’s a game-changer when you’re dealing with the ups and downs of bipolar disorder. I’ve found that sticking to a routine helps me feel more grounded and in control, even on those tough days. And you’re so right about not feeling ashamed of our diagnosis - it’s not our fault and we deserve all the support and help we can get. Keep taking care of yourself and reaching out for help when you need it, because you deserve to live each day to the fullest.

Hey, I totally feel you on the daily struggle of managing bipolar disorder. It can be tough to deal with those extreme highs and lows, and I’ve definitely had days where just getting out of bed felt impossible. It’s awesome that you’ve found strategies that work for you, like setting up routines and making time for exercise and socialization. I’ve found those things to be super helpful, too. And you’re so right - there’s absolutely no shame in reaching out for help. It’s all about taking care of ourselves so we can live our lives to the fullest. Keep up the good work, and remember that you’re not alone in this!

Hey, I hear you. Managing bipolar disorder can be a real rollercoaster. It’s awesome that you’ve been able to find some strategies that work for you, like setting up routines and getting regular therapy. Those little steps can make a big difference, even on the tough days. I’ve found that reaching out for help and finding a support system is so important - we don’t have to go through this alone. It’s okay to have those ups and downs, and it’s okay to ask for help when we need it. Keep doing what works for you, and remember that you’re not alone in this. We’re all in this together and we’ve got your back.

Hey there, I can completely relate to what you’re going through. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder a few years ago and it’s been a rollercoaster of emotions ever since. It’s great that you’ve found some strategies that work for you, like setting up routines and making time for exercise and socialization. I’ve found those things really helpful too. And you’re absolutely right - there’s no shame in seeking help and taking care of ourselves. It’s so important to prioritize our mental health and not let the stigma of bipolar disorder hold us back. Keep up the good work, and remember that you’re not alone in this!

Hey! I can totally relate to what you’re going through. Managing bipolar disorder is no easy task, but it’s awesome that you’ve found some strategies that work for you. It’s great that you’re seeing a therapist and have set up routines for yourself - those small actions can make a big difference. It’s also really important to not feel ashamed or embarrassed about your diagnosis. I know it can be tough, but reaching out for help is a huge step in taking care of yourself. Keep taking it one day at a time, and remember that you’re not alone in this. We’re here to support each other, so keep pushing forward and taking care of yourself!

Hey, I totally get where you’re coming from. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder a few years ago and it’s been a rollercoaster, to say the least. It’s great that you’re seeing a therapist and taking steps to manage your condition. I can relate to how overwhelming even the simplest tasks can feel sometimes. Setting up routines has been a game-changer for me too. It’s all about finding what works for you and sticking to it as best as you can. And you’re so right about not feeling ashamed of our diagnosis - it’s just a part of who we are. Keep taking care of yourself and reaching out for help when you need it. You’re not alone in this!

Hey man, that sounds really tough, but I’m glad to hear that you’ve found some strategies that work for you. It’s good that you found a therapist who could help you get a diagnosis and support you through this. I totally get how setting routines can be a game-changer, especially when it feels like everything else is up in the air. It’s awesome that you’re prioritizing self-care and taking steps to manage your condition. And you’re right - there’s absolutely no need to feel embarrassed about seeking help. We all need a little support sometimes, and it’s great that you’re encouraging others to reach out, too. Keep taking care of yourself, man - you’re doing a great job.

Hello! I totally understand where you’re coming from. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder a few years ago, and it really turned my world upside down. I struggled with the extreme highs and lows, and it felt like I was constantly walking on a tightrope. But like you, I found that setting up routines and sticking to them really helped me gain some stability. It’s not always easy, and there are definitely days when everything feels overwhelming, but having some structure in place has been a game-changer for me. And you’re absolutely right - there’s no shame in seeking help and taking care of yourself. It’s a tough road, but we’re not alone in this. Hang in there, and keep leaning on the support around you. You’ve got this!