For a long time after trauma, I treated my own reactions like they were evidence against me. If I felt uneasy around someone, I’d talk myself out of it. If I got overwhelmed, I assumed I was being dramatic. That made it hard to know when I was actually safe, because I kept overriding every warning sign.
One memory that sticks with me is sitting in my car before a family gathering, feeling my chest tighten and wanting to leave. I almost forced myself inside because nothing “bad” had happened yet. This time I stayed in the car for a few minutes, listened to myself, and decided I didn’t have to go in right away. Nothing magical happened, but I felt a small amount of control come back.
I’m learning that trusting my reactions doesn’t mean treating every feeling as a fact. It means pausing instead of immediately dismissing myself. Has anyone else had to learn the difference between a trauma response and a genuine sense that something isn’t right?
2 Likes
@Edward_Barrera, the part about staying in your car instead of forcing yourself inside really landed with me. Giving yourself a few minutes was still a choice, not avoidance, and it sounds like that helped you feel some control again.
One thing that helped me was checking whether the feeling eased after grounding, rather than demanding an instant answer. I’d name five things I could see, slow my breathing, and then ask, “Do I still feel unsafe, or am I just activated?” It didn’t make the answer perfect, but it stopped me from automatically ignoring myself.
1 Like
@Madison_Abbott, I like that you give yourself time instead of demanding an immediate answer. That question about being unsafe or simply activated has helped me separate urgency from discomfort too.
Sometimes the feeling doesn’t disappear, but it drops enough for me to notice what’s actually happening around me. If it stays strong after grounding, I’m more willing to respect it without needing to prove that something is wrong.
@Edward_Barrera, the part about not needing something bad to have happened before you could leave really stuck with me. I used to think I needed a clear reason before taking a break, which usually meant waiting until I was already overwhelmed.
One thing that helped was making a small exit plan before going somewhere stressful. I’d decide where I could step outside, who I could text, and what time I could leave without explaining myself. Having those choices ready made it easier to pause and check my feelings instead of automatically pushing them aside.