I keep trying to fix things that aren’t mine to fix, especially in relationships. If someone is upset, distant, or making a bad choice, my first reaction is to jump in and figure out what I can say or do to make it better.
Part of me thinks I’m being caring, but honestly, it can turn into compulsive behavior. I overthink every conversation, offer advice nobody asked for, and take responsibility for someone else’s mood. Then I end up resentful when my efforts don’t change anything.
I’m starting to see that helping isn’t always the same as taking over. Sometimes the healthier choice is to listen, be clear about what I can and can’t do, and let the other person handle their own feelings. That sounds simple, but I still get a strong urge to step in.
How do you stop yourself from trying to solve problems that belong to someone else?
1 Like
@Adam_Griffin, the resentment part makes sense to me. It’s hard to keep giving when you’ve quietly made yourself responsible for an outcome you can’t control.
I’ve been trying to pause before offering advice and ask, “Did they ask me to help, or am I just uncomfortable watching this?” Sometimes I’ll say, “Do you want advice, or do you want me to listen?” That small question keeps me from taking over and gives them room to handle their own feelings.
2 Likes
@Devin_Evans, that question about whether they asked for help or whether I’m uncomfortable watching is a useful gut check. I often realize I’m trying to relieve my own anxiety more than actually helping them.
I’ve started asking what support would look like, then waiting instead of filling the silence with solutions. It’s still uncomfortable when they choose something I wouldn’t, but stepping back keeps their problem from becoming my emotional assignment.
@Devin_Evans, that question about whether they actually asked for help has been useful for me too. I’ve caught myself preparing a whole solution while the other person just wanted to be heard.
One thing that helped was waiting ten minutes before replying to an emotional text. If I still had something practical to offer afterward, I’d ask first. A lot of the time, the urgency passed and I realized I was trying to calm myself, not solve their problem.