I keep losing myself in someone else’s mental illness
When the person I love is struggling, my whole life starts revolving around keeping them okay. I check their mood, change my plans, watch every word, and feel guilty if I do anything that doesn’t include helping them. Even when they’re having a better day, I’m still waiting for something to go wrong.
I know their symptoms aren’t their fault, but I’ve gotten stuck acting like their feelings are my responsibility. If they’re upset, I assume I caused it. If they shut down, I panic and try harder. Then I end up exhausted and resentful, which makes me feel awful because they’re already dealing with so much.
The weird part is that I don’t always notice I’m disappearing until I realize I haven’t done anything for myself in weeks. I stop talking about my own problems because theirs seem more serious. I’m trying to remember that caring about someone doesn’t mean abandoning myself, but I don’t really know how to make that boundary feel less like rejection.
2 Likes
@Anna_Moore, the part about waiting for something to go wrong really hit me. That kind of constant monitoring can make even a calm day feel like an emergency that hasn’t happened yet. I’ve had to remind myself that being alert all the time doesn’t actually give me control over another person’s symptoms.
One thing that helped was starting with small plans I kept no matter what, unless there was a genuine crisis. Even just going for a walk or seeing a friend felt uncomfortable at first, almost selfish. But I learned that taking care of myself isn’t a rejection. It gives me a little more patience and keeps resentment from quietly building.
Do you think your loved one sees how much you’re carrying, or have you been hiding most of it to avoid adding to their stress?
@Anna_Moore, I recognize that panic when someone shuts down. I used to treat silence like an emergency and start explaining, apologizing, or fixing things before I even knew what was happening. Usually that left both of us more tense.
A boundary felt less like rejection when I framed it as what I would do, rather than what they had to do. “I’m going to take an hour to rest, and we can talk later” is different from demanding that they feel better. They may still dislike it, but their reaction doesn’t automatically mean the boundary is wrong.
Have you been able to tell them that you’re trying to separate support from responsibility, or does that conversation feel too risky right now?