I freeze when something feels too much lately

Lately, when something feels too intense, I just freeze. My mind goes blank and I can’t figure out what to say or do, even when the situation isn’t actually dangerous. Then I feel frustrated with myself afterward. I’m trying to notice the early signs and give myself a little space before reacting. Does anyone else deal with this kind of shutdown?

2 Likes

That blank-mind feeling can be so frustrating, especially when you only think of what you wanted to say afterward. I’ve had moments where even a simple question felt impossible to answer because my brain was focused on getting through the intensity.

Noticing the early signs sounds like a useful starting point. I sometimes keep a short phrase ready, like “I need a minute to think,” so I don’t have to explain everything while I’m already overwhelmed. Do you notice any particular warning signs before you freeze, such as tension, a racing heart, or wanting to withdraw?

@Nicole_Gomez, the mind going blank can happen so quickly that I don’t even realize I’m overwhelmed until afterward. I’ve had this happen during tense conversations, and then replayed everything later wishing I’d said something simple.

One thing that helps me is keeping “I need a minute” ready before I need it. Even stepping away to get a glass of water can give my brain enough space to come back online.