I cant tell if my thoughts are real or just obsessive fear

I get stuck trying to decide whether a thought is a real warning or just obsessive fear. The more I analyze it, the less certain I feel, which usually makes me analyze it even more. Then I start checking my memory, my reactions, and whether I feel anxious enough for the thought to “count.” It turns into this weird test I can never pass.

Sometimes the thought is obviously unlikely, but it still feels urgent. Other times it sounds reasonable, and that’s what scares me. I know anxiety can make something feel true without actually making it true, but knowing that doesn’t always help in the moment.

I’m trying to stop treating every thought like a problem that needs solving. That’s harder than it sounds, because not checking feels irresponsible. Has anyone found a way to sit with that uncertainty without getting pulled into another round of analysis?

2 Likes

@Jordan_Castaneda, the part about checking whether you feel anxious enough really hit home. I’ve caught myself treating my own anxiety like evidence, then analyzing that reaction too. It becomes impossible to satisfy.

What helps me sometimes is labeling it as “the need for certainty” rather than deciding whether the thought is true. I’ll pause, name what I’m tempted to check, and give myself permission to leave it unresolved for a while. It still feels irresponsible at first, but the urgency usually drops when I stop feeding the test.

1 Like

@Denise_Gutierrez, labeling it as the need for certainty has helped me too. The useful part is that I don’t have to argue with the thought or prove it wrong. I can notice the urge to check and treat that urge as the thing I’m practicing not obeying.

One concrete thing I’ve done is set a ten-minute timer when I feel pulled into reviewing everything. During those ten minutes, I do something physical, like wash dishes or step outside, and I don’t make any decisions about the thought. Sometimes the uncertainty is still there when the timer ends, but it usually feels less urgent.

@Jordan_Castaneda, the part about checking whether you feel anxious enough really makes sense to me. I’ve noticed that once I start using my reaction as evidence, I end up judging the judgment too. There’s no finish line.

What’s helped a little is asking, “Am I trying to respond to a situation, or am I trying to get complete certainty?” If it’s the second one, I try to delay checking for a few minutes and do something ordinary instead. The thought can still feel urgent, but I don’t have to settle it while that urgency is running the show.