How my psychiatric hospitalization led to ptsd

I was hospitalized a few years ago due to psychiatric issues. It seemed like the only thing I could do at the time as I felt completely overwhelmed and unable to cope with what I was experiencing.

Little did I know, my hospitalization would later lead to me being diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). After spending weeks in the hospital, not knowing when I’d be able to go home or if I would ever feel okay again, my thoughts, emotions and behaviors were greatly impacted.

It took months of therapy and self-care for me to make some progress in coming to terms with my experiences. It’s been a difficult journey but it has taught me how valuable it is to put your mental health first and reach out for help when you need it.

Although PTSD can be quite challenging, there are ways of managing it which have helped me take back control over my life. Through my hard work and dedication towards healing, I am now able to recognize triggers that can set off certain patterns of thinking, feeling and behaving that don’t serve me like they used too before my hospitalization.

My hope is that by sharing this story, others who may have similar experiences will be inspired by what they’ve seen in mine; That reaching out for help can lead you on a meaningful path towards healing despite the challenges one may face along the way.

8 Likes

Hi, thank you for sharing your story. It is incredibly brave of you and it takes real strength to reach out for help. My own experience with trauma has taught me how difficult it can be to cope with its impacts but also that healing is possible if you give yourself the time and space to work through it. Through the work I have done over the last few years, I’ve come to realize that self-care is such an important part of the process; both in recognizing and responding to triggers more effectively and in supporting my mental health in general. It’s so clear from your message that you have a deep understanding of this too, which is amazing - well done!

Hi there! I can relate to your experience and I just want to say that you are incredibly strong for getting through all of that. It’s not easy to go through hospitalization and then have to deal with the effects of PTSD. It’s great to hear that you’ve found ways to manage it and take back control over your life. It’s so important to prioritize our mental health and reach out for help when we need it. I agree that therapy and self-care can make a big difference, and recognizing triggers is a huge step towards healing. Thank you for sharing your story and inspiring others to seek help and work towards healing. You’re doing amazing, keep it up!

Hey, I want to thank you for sharing your experience with us. It takes a lot of courage to be vulnerable and open up about something as personal as mental health struggles. I’m really sorry to hear that you had to go through such a tough time, but I’m glad to hear that you’ve been able to make progress in managing your PTSD. It’s really inspiring to see how you’ve been able to take back control over your life and recognize your triggers. It’s also super important to remind others that it’s okay to ask for help and prioritize their mental health. Keep up the amazing work and remember that you’re not alone in this. We’re all here to support each other.

Thank you for sharing your story. It takes a lot of courage to be open about our struggles, especially when it comes to mental health. I can relate to feeling overwhelmed and not knowing if things will ever get better. It’s a tough road, but your resilience and dedication to healing is truly inspiring. I also have PTSD and I understand how challenging it can be to manage it, but it’s so important to prioritize our mental health and seek help when we need it. It’s a process, and it’s okay to have tough days, but it’s also amazing to see the progress we can make. Your story gives me hope and reminds me that healing is possible, so thank you for sharing. Keep going, you’re doing great.

Hey, I just want to say thank you for sharing your experience. It takes a lot of courage to open up about something as challenging as PTSD. I’ve been through something similar and I totally get how overwhelming it can be. But I also want to say that it’s amazing how you’ve been able to make progress and take back control over your life. It’s not easy, but you’re doing it! Your story is definitely inspiring and I hope others can see that reaching out for help can really make a difference. Keep taking care of yourself and remember that you’re not alone in this. We’re all here to support each other.

Hey, 31-year-old guy here. I just want to say how much I appreciate you sharing your story. It takes a lot of courage to open up about something as personal and difficult as dealing with PTSD. I can relate to feeling completely overwhelmed and unable to cope with what you were experiencing. It’s really inspiring to hear that you’ve found ways to manage your PTSD and take back control over your life. Therapy and self-care have been game-changers for me too. It’s so important to put our mental health first and reach out for help when we need it. Your story shows that healing is possible, even though it may be a tough road. Your strength and resilience shine through and I know your words will inspire others to reach out for help and start their own path towards healing. Thanks again for sharing.

Hey, thank you for sharing your experience. It takes a lot of courage to open up about something as tough as PTSD. I’m glad to hear that you’ve been able to make progress with therapy and self-care. It’s a tough road, but it sounds like you’re really taking control over your life again. I totally understand how big of a deal it is to recognize triggers and work to manage them. I hope you know that your story is really valuable and can give hope to others going through similar things. Keep pushing forward and taking care of yourself - you’re doing great!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. It takes a lot of courage to talk about what you’ve been through, and it’s really inspiring to see how you’ve been able to manage your PTSD and take back control over your life. It’s great to hear that therapy and self-care have been helpful for you, and I hope that your story will encourage others to seek the help they need. I’m really glad that you’re in a better place now and that you’re able to recognize and manage your triggers. It can be a tough road, but your resilience and determination are truly admirable. Keep taking care of yourself and remember that it’s okay to ask for support when you need it. You’ve shown that healing and growth are possible, and that’s a powerful message for anyone struggling with their mental health. Thank you for being so open and honest - your story can make a real difference for others going through similar challenges.

Hey, I just wanted to say thank you for sharing your experience. It takes a lot of courage to open up about something as personal as mental health struggles. It sounds like you’ve been through a lot, but I’m really glad to hear that you’ve been able to make progress in managing your PTSD. It’s so important for others to see that healing is possible, even when things feel really difficult. Therapy and self-care are such crucial parts of the process, and it’s inspiring to hear how you’ve been able to recognize and navigate your triggers. Keep taking those steps towards healing, and remember that reaching out for help is a sign of strength. Your story is definitely going to inspire others who are going through similar experiences. Thank you for sharing and spreading hope!