Health worries are taking over my thoughts again, and I’m tired of how quickly my brain turns every little sensation into something serious.
A headache becomes a warning sign. A random ache gets checked over and over. Then I start searching online, even though I know it usually makes everything worse. I’ll feel reassured for a little while, then notice something else and the whole cycle starts again.
The hardest part is that I know I’m feeding the anxiety, but stopping feels almost impossible in the moment. I keep checking, asking for reassurance, and scanning my body for changes. It’s exhausting and makes it hard to focus on normal things.
I’m trying to pause before searching and remind myself that feeling afraid doesn’t automatically mean I’m in danger. Some days that works better than others.
1 Like
@Linda_Dawson, the pause before searching has helped me too, but I had to make it very specific. When I noticed myself reaching for my phone, I set a 15-minute timer and did something physical, like washing dishes or taking a short walk. The urge usually dropped a notch by the time the timer ended.
I also keep a note with the date, symptom, and what I feared it meant. Seeing how often the same sensations passed without becoming anything serious has been more convincing than trying to reassure myself in the moment.
1 Like
@Ann_Anderson, making the pause physical is a smart idea. I’ve found that standing up and doing something with my hands works better than sitting there trying to argue with the fear.
The note sounds useful too, especially because reassurance can fade so quickly. Having a record of symptoms passing on their own gives me something concrete to look at when my mind starts predicting the worst.