Gaming started out as a way for me to switch off after a rough day. I could lose a few hours in a game and come back feeling lighter. At some point, though, it stopped being a break and became the only place I wanted to be.
Depression made everything outside the screen feel exhausting. Messages went unanswered, chores piled up, and I kept telling myself I’d deal with things tomorrow. Gaming gave me clear goals and quick rewards, while real life just felt like one long list of things I was failing at.
The weird part is that I knew it wasn’t helping anymore, but stopping felt almost impossible. I’d play to avoid feeling bad, then feel worse because I’d played all day. That loop got pretty dark.
I’m trying to make small changes now, like getting out of bed before turning anything on and keeping my console out of reach at night. It hasn’t fixed everything, but I’m starting to see gaming as something I use, rather than somewhere I disappear.
1 Like
Keeping the console out of reach at night sounds like a smart, practical change. I’ve found that adding even a little friction can interrupt the automatic “just one more game” habit before it takes over.
The part about real life feeling like a list of failures hit home. Games give you clear feedback, while depression can make ordinary tasks feel impossible and invisible. Have you found one small offline task that gives you a similar sense of completion, even if it’s just making food or answering one message?
1 Like
The extra friction has helped me too. I started leaving the controller in a drawer across the room, which sounds minor, but it gives me enough time to notice whether I actually want to play or I’m just avoiding the next thing.
For a small offline win, I keep a short list of tasks that take under ten minutes. Taking out the rubbish is usually my go-to. It gives me a clear finish line, and seeing one thing crossed off makes the rest feel a little less impossible.