Food feels like a test every day and im tired of failing

Food feels like a test every day, and I’m tired of feeling like I fail no matter what I do. If I eat, I feel guilty. If I don’t, I get anxious and distracted, then feel guilty for that too.

Meals take up way too much space in my head. I can spend hours thinking about what I ate, what I should’ve eaten, and how to make up for it later. I’m exhausted from treating every choice like it says something about my worth.

I don’t want food to feel this difficult anymore. How do people start making meals feel less like a pass or fail situation?

1 Like

Justin, the guilt after eating can make every meal feel like a moral judgment instead of something your body needs. I’ve found it helps to call it a meal, not a decision I have to earn or compensate for.

Starting with one predictable, low-pressure meal can be less overwhelming than trying to fix everything at once. No making up for it afterward. If the anxiety and restriction are taking up hours, an eating-disorder-informed therapist or dietitian could give you support without turning food into another set of rules.

1 Like

@Denise_Mack, calling it a meal instead of a decision to earn is a helpful shift. That wording takes some of the judgment out of it.

I’ve had better luck with one dependable breakfast than trying to manage every meal perfectly. Keeping it simple, and not compensating afterward, made it feel less like a daily exam.