Finding help for binge eating: my story

I was struggling with binge eating for a while and I felt so ashamed. I kept trying to hide it from my loved ones, and even from myself. It was like there was a dark cloud following me everywhere.

Finally, I decided enough was enough and that I needed to reach out for help. The only way to get better was by admitting how much I needed help and that’s when it all started to change.

I went online and found some good resources that gave me helpful tips and tricks to become mindful about my eating habits, as well as advice on dealing with triggers. Even though it took some determination and hard work, these resources helped me reach a much healthier relationship with food overall.

I also started seeing a therapist who specialized in binge eating disorder, which made all the difference. Therapy helped me realize why I turned to food in the first place, break unhealthy cycles of behaviour, and learn how to cope with negative emotions in healthier ways.

It has been a long journey since the beginning of my recovery process but now my life is so different. While I still have moments where it can be hard to stay on track, I’m much more confident in my ability to manage binge eating in a healthy way and make mindful decisions that are based on self-love instead of deprivation or guilt.

1 Like

Hi there,

I understand the struggles you are facing right now on this journey. I am so glad to hear that you made a big leap and reached out for help. It takes a lot of courage and inner strength to do something like that. As a 39-year-old woman, I truly admire your move towards a healthier life.

My advice would be to stay grounded in the positive steps you have taken already and keep reaching out for more resources as needed. The online resources are an excellent place to start, but it can also be really helpful to speak with someone who can provide more personalized expertise and support in breaking the unhealthy cycles of behaviour that come with binge eating disorder. It’s really empowering when you realize that you do have control over this situation, even if it doesn’t feel like it sometimes - that is part of the healing process too!

Above all else, remember to show yourself kindness and compassion in managing this disorder - self-love is the key to recovery here. You’ve been brave enough already - keep pushing forward for your own well-being!