Figuring out where adhd ends and bipolar begins for me

I’ve been trying to sort out which parts of my behavior are ADHD and which might be bipolar, and honestly the overlap makes it confusing. I can be distracted, impulsive, and unable to finish anything, but then there are stretches where I need very little sleep, talk constantly, start five projects, spend too much money, and feel unusually confident. Other times it seems more like ADHD frustration, especially when I’m overwhelmed or bored.

The sleep changes are probably the biggest clue, but even that isn’t always clear. Sometimes I stay up because my brain won’t settle, and sometimes I feel like I genuinely don’t need sleep. I’m trying to track my mood, sleep, energy, and impulsive decisions instead of labeling every bad week as an episode.

My therapist and prescriber are helping me look at patterns over time, but I still second-guess myself a lot. How did you figure out which symptoms belonged to ADHD and which were part of bipolar for you?

1 Like

The difference between being unable to sleep and feeling like sleep is optional seems like a useful distinction. For me, ADHD restlessness usually still comes with feeling tired and frustrated, while the more concerning periods had a noticeable shift in confidence, spending, and how fast my thoughts and speech were moving.

Tracking patterns helped more than trying to classify each symptom in the moment. I wrote down how much I slept, whether I felt tired, what my mood was like, and whether other people noticed I was acting differently. Have you found that anyone close to you can spot those changes before you recognize them?

1 Like

That “sleep is optional” feeling has been a much better warning sign for me than simply staying up late. When I’m restless but still tired, I can usually connect it to stress, caffeine, or getting stuck on something. The risky periods feel different, especially when the confidence and spending ramp up too.

My sister has noticed the change in my speech and plans before I did. One concrete thing that helped was asking her to text me when I start talking unusually fast or making grand plans, instead of waiting until things have gone too far. I added those observations to my mood and sleep notes, and they gave my prescriber a clearer picture than my memory did.