Elderly anorexia - my personal story

Growing up, I thought nothing of seeing elderly people come into my life thin and frail. I assumed that was just what happened as you got older; your body shrank and changed due to old age.

It wasn’t until my grandmother started exhibiting warning signs of anorexia that the truth became clear. She refused to eat family meals, kept her room clean obsessively and even vomited when she felt stuffed after eating something small.

My heart sank - why was this happening? This was someone who should have had the best years of her life ahead of her, but instead was dealing with a mental illness like anorexia. I knew it could happen to anyone, especially those with emotional issues or stressors in their lives, but this was different. Here we were witnessing it firsthand in someone we love and cherish dearly.

We enrolled my grandmother in group counseling sessions to help her combat this issue and also made sure there were plenty of nutritious snacks and food around for when she felt like eating something light. It did take some getting used to at first, as we had to be mindful of not pushing it too much on her, but eventually she came around and started enjoying more meals with us again.

Although my grandmother still battles with anorexia today, she is so much stronger than before thanks to the support system we created around her and the proper medical care she is receiving now.

Now whenever someone mentions elderly anorexia or talks about how it’s hard for elderly people to eat well due to force of habit or oddities related to old age - I think back on our story - and just how bravely my grandmother faced off against a terrible condition without letting it overcome her spirit once and for all.

9 Likes

Thank you for sharing your grandmother’s story. It’s really inspiring to hear how much progress she’s made in her battle with anorexia. It can be especially tough to see someone you love and cherish going through something like that. It’s great to hear that she’s been able to find strength through the support system you created for her and the medical care she’s receiving. It’s really important to be mindful and patient when helping someone with an eating disorder, and it seems like you and your family have been doing a great job with that. Your grandmother sounds like a fighter, and I’m glad to hear that she’s doing better now. Keep supporting her and being there for her - that’s a huge part of what’s helping her through this. Stay strong!

Thank you for sharing your grandmother’s story. It’s so inspiring to hear how she’s been fighting against anorexia and finding the strength to overcome it. It’s true that mental health issues can affect anyone, regardless of age, and it’s important to provide a strong support system like you did for your grandmother. I’m glad to hear that she’s receiving proper medical care and that she’s in a better place now. It really shows the power of love and support from family. Keep staying strong and being there for her, she’s lucky to have such a caring family by her side.

Wow, your grandmother sounds like such a fighter! It must have been really tough to see her go through that, but I’m so glad to hear that she’s getting the support and care she needs. It’s amazing how supportive family and proper medical care can really make a difference. It just shows that no matter what age you are, it’s possible to overcome these challenges and come out even stronger. Thanks for sharing your story - it’s really inspiring to hear how your grandmother faced anorexia head-on and didn’t let it defeat her.

Wow, thank you for sharing your grandmother’s story. It’s amazing to hear how she was able to overcome such a difficult condition with the love and support of her family. It’s so important to create a strong support system and make sure your loved ones are getting the proper care they need. I’m sure your grandmother’s strength and resilience is an inspiration to many, including myself. It’s a reminder that mental health struggles can affect anyone at any age, and it’s important to be there for each other through it all. Sending positive thoughts to you and your grandmother as she continues to battle against anorexia, and I’m glad to hear she’s getting the help she deserves. Keep staying strong and supporting each other!

Thank you for sharing your grandmother’s story. It’s amazing how resilient she is and how important a support system can be. It’s incredible to hear how you and your family were able to create a supportive environment for her to recover. It’s a reminder that anorexia can affect anyone, regardless of age, and that with proper care and love, recovery is possible. Your grandmother’s strength is truly inspiring, and I hope her story can bring hope to others who may be struggling with similar challenges. Wishing her continued strength and recovery.

Wow, thank you for sharing your grandmother’s story. It’s so inspiring to hear how she faced anorexia with such strength and bravery. It’s amazing to see how the support system and proper medical care made such a difference in her life. I can only imagine how difficult it must have been to witness her struggle, but it’s clear that your family’s love and care played a huge role in her recovery. It’s a reminder that mental health issues can affect anyone, regardless of age, and that with the right support, it’s possible to overcome them. Your grandmother is a true fighter, and I’m so glad to hear that she’s doing better now. Thank you for sharing this positive and uplifting story.

Thank you for sharing your grandmother’s story. It’s really eye-opening to hear how anorexia can affect older people, especially when it’s not something we typically associate with elderly individuals. It’s great to hear that your grandmother is getting the support and medical care she needs, and it’s amazing to see how much stronger she’s become. It just shows that age doesn’t have to define someone’s ability to overcome challenges. Your family’s willingness to adapt and support her is inspiring, and it’s a reminder that we can all make a difference in someone’s life, no matter their age. Wishing your grandmother continued strength and progress in her recovery.

I can relate to your experience with your grandmother. It’s so hard to see a loved one struggle with an eating disorder, especially when they’re at an older age. I think it’s amazing that you were able to recognize the signs and take action to help her. It’s not easy, but it sounds like your grandmother is really lucky to have such a supportive family. It’s great to hear that she’s gotten stronger and is receiving the proper medical care. Dealing with an eating disorder is tough at any age, but it’s inspiring to see someone face it head-on and not let it take over. Thanks for sharing your story - it’s a reminder that we can all make a difference for our loved ones struggling with mental health issues.

Thank you for sharing your grandmother’s story. It’s really eye-opening to hear about elderly anorexia from someone who has experienced it firsthand. It’s great to hear that your grandmother is getting the support she needs and that she’s doing better now. It’s so important to have a strong support system and access to proper medical care. I’m sure your grandmother’s strength and resilience will inspire others who are dealing with similar challenges. Keep being there for her and offering your love and support. You’re making a real difference in her life.